Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New Door Hinges?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Default New Door Hinges?

Hi guys I just joined this forum today but I have been reading stuff here long before and this place is Awesome. A lot of people here really know their stuff! I don't know if there is already a thread on this or not as this is my very first post so sorry if I am repeating someone else's problem...Anyway, I have a 2002 SS/HS (obviously L36) and both doors are starting to sag and are rubbing at the bottom of the fender. My passenger side fender was already shot when I got the car, but I think I can still save the driver's side. I have heard that there is no way to adjust the hinges/new bushings, etc. and that I need new hinge assemblies. Is this true? I have been combing the internet searching for parts for these hinges and can find ANYTHING!. I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Welcome to the forum, usually new bushings do the trick but ive nvr had to put any on a monte before so im not sure could be wrong but im sure someone on here knows

Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

GM has had a history of using door hinge/bushing setups on 2 door cars that are the SAME as the 4 door rigs (end result, the 4 door hinge rigs are NOT designed to long term support the weight of a 2 door).

You may want to look into bushings like 03JGMonte mentioned. Good starting point.

I have not checked out the hinges on my Monte so I don't know if this SECOND idea would work. BUT, the 3rd gen F-Bodies (Camaros/Firebirds from the 80's) have door sage problems. When I go to work on my '84, I have a set of these to try out on it:
3rdgensolutions - greasable pin info

Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Hey thanks guys! Yeah my original thought was to get new bushings of course. Here is a link to some pictures of the hinges:
Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums - MaxMonteTT22's Album: 2002 SS

There are 2 hinges per door and the hinge pins are actually quite small. I really hope I can just buy new bushings somewhere for MUCH cheaper than new assemblies. I found that new assemblies are about $150 per door which is outrageous. Do you guys think I should post this thread somewhere else to get some more details?

Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Hey thanks guys. Here is a link to some pictures of the hinges. There are 2 hinges per door and I'm assuming they are both shot.
Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums - MaxMonteTT22's Album: 2002 SS
I ended up finding a site that sold bushings and hinge pins for these doors, but when I clicked on the image, the store is either out of business or the link was bad. So I am back to square one...