Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New B . In need of help ? 87 mc LS stock speedo gear ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Question New B . In need of help ? 87 mc LS stock speedo gear ???

Hay there monte car drivers . I'm new to this form . Just picked up a 87 monte Carlo LS luxury sport v6 auto car with a 350 motor and 350 turbo trans 3speed . I'm not sure what year motor or trans that's in it I know the guy said it still has the original v6 rear end limited slip in it but do not know what gears are in it .. So my second day haveing the car drove it to work . And on my way home my speedo stoped working . Well the speedo housing fell out still on the end of the cable but lost my speedo gear . So now I'm in a search for what number tooth gear to put in it . But the one that was it it . Was off . About 5-6 mph faster . Not sure if it was stock original speedo gear . And not sure what trans it original had in it my guess is the 200r4 but that's a crazy guess . And I'm looking for help . Has any one on here have the same set up as I have ? 87 mc v6 LS car with a 350 and 350 turbo trans with stock rear end ? and what speedo gear do u have ? And even if I knew what the stock speedo gear I would try that and give me a good starting point to find the right one . So if any one can help me get some info to get my car back on the road that would be vary awesome . Please halp with your wise info of the monte Carlo . . Thanks again for taking the time to read and help me . Thanks. Drew.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Ok I checked my RPO codes . And this is what i found . It a 87 monte Carlo LS and had a 4.3l v6 and had a 3speed thm 200 . Auto transmission . And for the rear end that is still in it , has the 2.29 gear ratio rear end. That I know of . as the guy I got it from his dad was the original owner and said it was still the stock rear end in it now . So now does any one now what color or how many tooth speedo drive gears it would have had stock? . Or would some one know what speedo gear it would take with it being a 87 monte LS with a 350 motor and a th350 turbo trans 3 speed with the 2.29 rear end gear ratio?? . Not sure what size tires are on it right now . But if someone could help me out it would be great . Let me know if u can help . Thanks. Drew