Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Needing Help - Transmission Lines and Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Unhappy Needing Help - Transmission Lines and Blower Motor

Hello all,
I have two problems right now. The first one is that after I fixed a problem with my radiator I went to put everything back together and ran into a problem with the transmission cooling lines. I got the correct part to replace the connectors but when I turned my car back on I had transoil leak out rapidly. Am I supposed to put something like plumbers tape on the screws? The ones I replaced were clean and the part I put in had white stuff in the grooves.

My second issue is that my blower motor will not stop. Even when the car is keyed off. I have to unhook the battery to shut it down. I think it could be a bad switch maybe?

Old 04-12-2014, 05:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Issue #1:
I assume the trans leak is around the fittings for the trans lines going in and out of the radiator?
There are two designs I am aware of for these cars with the trans lines. One is a conventional fitting (use a wrench to tighten it into place). If that is what you have, you may need to back things out and ensure you did not cross thread anything by accident.
The other method (that my Monte has) is the "quick connect" setting. The lines just slide into the fitting and "click" into place. There is a clip that in the shop book, GM advises replacing when removing the lines. If this is your style, maybe the clip is not holding tight.

There is not need for plumbers putty, pipe dope or teflon tape in either method.

Issue #2:
More then likely a bad blower motor resistor.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 PM

I have the one with the quick C clip. After a little work I have it threaded and sealed well with no leaks there, but the leak seems to be out of the bevel connection. All parts are new and I have not been able to get a good seal. I cannot see any bends or issues damage. I also tried putting a small gasket in there, but I could not get the C clip in.

I have disconnected the motor for now and I have ordered a new switch and resistor.

Last edited by Skialdi; 04-12-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Skialdi
I have the one with the quick C clip. After a little work I have it threaded and sealed well with no leaks there, but the leak seems to be out of the bevel connection. All parts are new and I have not been able to get a good seal. I cannot see any bends or issues damage. I also tried putting a small gasket in there, but I could not get the C clip in.

I have disconnected the motor for now and I have ordered a new switch and resistor.
Since this thread is 6 months old I'm sure you have resolved your problem but for the benefit of others to follow, I offer this;

having recently experienced the same problem for the second time on the same car, I now know that the fitting that the trans line plugs into is not a re-usable part. I say this because the O-ring in the fitting gets hard over time and will not reseal a second time. The fitting must be replaced with a new one.