Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need Transmission Help BAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Default Need Transmission Help BAD

I have a 98 Monte Carlo 6c automatic with 240k miles on it. a few days ago when i was driving the gear slipped out when i went from 75mph to 40 and has not worked right since......Here is the thing. I can shut the car off and wait just a few seconds turn it on and the car will drive for some time or I can stop the car completely or go over 40mph. I have been driving with the car like this for a few days and the first 2 gears are pulling just fine when the rpms go high in second is when it feels like it doesnt shift into third or back down and start in first again without shutting it off.

I love this car, I have a kid on the way and I am praying that it may just be a sensor of some sorts so please leave me some idea of what you think it may be. A friend and I have some experience with cars and could possibly do the work if its a minor issue.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Default RE: Need Transmission Help BAD

[align=center]Hi Mitch, & Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Sorry to read in your first post that you are having trans problems : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It's difficult to give specific answer's to your problem by just the[/align][align=center]written word.[/align][align=center]Questions[/align][align=center]Has your transmission ever been serviced ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Has the transFluid/filter been changed ? If so, when ?[/align][align=center]Have you checked your Transmission Fluid level ?[/align][align=center]*Made sure engine is warmed up, in park, level surface b-4 checking[/align][align=center]* If fluid level is up to mark, smell the stick and `if it smells burned,[/align][align=center]it's a bad sign.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Mitch, 240 K miles is a lot of miles on running gear.[/align][align=center]I hope another MCF member can add additional information[/align][align=center]for you.[/align][align=center]I wish you Good Luck, and a cheap cure to your trans problem.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 10-31-2007, 08:18 AM

what is bad after reading the threads on the site i had a flush 35k miles ago. I drive this car all the time. It has never had a trans. filter change, when I noticed the prob. I stopped at Walmart bought a quart of Tranny fluid checked it running and the level was at the first mark so I added the quart. I have not checked it since. I have owned other cars such as my 78 Nova that had a tranny go but the weird thing is no smell no warning no nothing thats why I was hoping for a cheap fix. I was told today that you cant check a chevy except at a dealer unless the check engine light is on and its not. Worst part about that is the dealer in my area is known to be a problem, and I cant get to the dealer in nashville with these problems.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 AM

[align=center]Mitch, I wish I had a simple solution to your trans prob : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Auto Transmission are pretty complex.[/align]
[:-]Oh Zhit [:-]
[align=center]Below link shows infor on the Automatic Transmissions[/align][align=center]Maybe it will assist in your search for the problem.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]CLick on below link[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm[/align]

Old 10-31-2007, 10:45 PM

i have a similar problem with my MC currently, but it won't shift into overdrive. i took it in to a shop and it's a problem with a valve of some sort sticking in my transmission. the computer thinks it's in overdrive, the linkage has moved to overdrive. but the fluid can't move the valve internally to make the shift.

i hope this isn't what is happening to you as i was given a $600 dollar estimate to fix it (to work on MC tranny in our generation involves dropping the sub-frame)

reason i didn't fix it is there was small shards of metal in my transmission pan from the clutches. so i'm waiting for it to get worse and hopefully save up enough money in the mean time for a new tranny.

i was hoping the same issue for mine would have been a simple fix with the computer but like the tech said.....if it was electronic related it would give you a check engine light.

good luck

Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 PM

oh and another thing to check is if your tranny fluid smells bad. or is burnt (darker red almost blackish) and make sure it's not overfilled as well.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a solenoid is in need of getting replaced, and replace them all if that's it. Tranny can come out without dropping the sub-frame. Mine just did. Had to replace the flex-plate and torque converter. Still a lot of work.
Also, I don't believe in the power flushing of transmissions. I WANT MY TRANSMISSION FILTER CHANGED EVERY 50,000 MILES!!! You don't power flush your engine oil, do you. NO! YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL AND YOUR FILTER!!! Hope EVERYONE is listening! Just another way for garages to make an easy buck. Easier to power flush than to drop the pan and change the filter. Serious profit in that! I WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANY METAL SHAVINGS IN MY TRANNY PAN!!! Food for thought.
Wayne
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272