Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission bad - Need quick advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 PM
1 Year Member
Default Transmission bad - Need quick advice please!

Hi,

This is my very first post here, and I could use some good advice please. I'm no mechanic, so I'll try to be brief as possible.....

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS, engine is 3800.

Some brief history of this car, bought it in 2005 had 34,000 miles on it, when it reached 45,000 miles the transmission blew out and I had it replaced with a GM 4t65e w/torque converter. I now have 170,000 miles on the car. When I first had the tranny installed, I did notice the RPM would go higher before shifting compared to the original tranny, not sure why, but it did that for the life of the tranny, which died today unfortunately.

I had my transmission checked about 3 months ago, it had been shifting hard into 2nd and/or 3rd gear for about a year intermittently. My transmission guy said he got a torque code, and after driving for about 50 miles, he said there's definitely something going on inside, and it's not just a solonoid or something simple. I thought this because of some posts I've read here, he read the posts and determined it wasn't the same problem.

I decided to drive it as is since it was still running ok except for the intermittent hard shift (which was definitely worse in the summer when it got hot quicker). So being Winter I decided I'll drive it and hope for the best since I can't really afford another tranny.

Well, today it died. I was at a red light stopped. When the light changed and I gave it the gas, it was moving very slowly for the amount of gas I was giving it. Once it got to about 30mph it seemed to be ok, but at the next light it did the same thing, would hardly budge off the start. I pulled over. I took it out of Drive and put it all the way down to 1st gear, and it wouldn't move at all, same with Reverse, nothing. It acted as if it was in Neutral.

I had it towed to the transmission garage and I'm awaiting the verdict,which considering the issues for the past year, and the symptoms today, it will likely be obvious that it's gone.

Now my question(s) are:

He gave me a price of $2800 to put in a new one, that includes labor, taxes, and replacing the Mass Air Flow Sensor, which he recommended. Is this a fair price? This will be the third tranny for this car, including the original. The first one I put in costed $3500, so this one is cheaper I guess?

At the current 170,000 miles, I would normally lean towards just getting another car, but for one, I love this car despite it's tranny problems, and for two, I just put almost $3000 worth of work into it fixing many other issues, ie...brakes, rotors, all struts, exhaust, new tires, tune-up.. so all that investment would be a waste of money since the car is not worth much if it won't run.

My last question,.......my tranny guy said something about GM saying they were updating and fixing the problems that the original transmission had, but later found out they were not making good on the updates as they had promised. I found this out "after" replacing the tranny the first time. Are there any class action lawsuits for this model tranny against GM? Do you think GM would even consider helping me pay for all the money I've lost replacing transmissions since I've owned this car? I just have a feeling they would ignore me, but I really don't know who to call, or if there is anything that can be done. It's quite a lot of money for me, I'm retired, and on fixed disability income.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer. I said "quick advice" in my title, because I need to make a decision in a day or so. My tranny guy won't let me keep the car there for too long.

Best regards,

Paul

Old 01-20-2014, 05:30 PM

Have you tried changing the filter? Thats what it sounds like to me. And unlees codes pop up, dont change the maf. Be a lot cheaper than $3k.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 PM
1 Year Member

If you mean the transmission filter, I'm pretty sure last time I had the tranny fluid changed they changed the filter as well, probably about a year and a half ago. I think my mechanic said it was a kit that he got, so I assume the kit included a filter.

There was a code when the transmission tech checked it, it was some kind of torque code, not sure the exact name/number of the code though.

Just curious, why would a filter cause the hard shifting, and now today have it not move at all in first and reverse?

Last edited by Monte922; 01-20-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Paul,
Welcome to the forum,
Unfortunately your story sounds all to familiar...
The weakness in these Monte Carlos are the transmissions... Generally, its good to do a trans fluid filter change once every year or 2 ... with 170k your way over due for a trans.. These transmissions have trouble between 80,000 to 120,000 miles... Its when it starts hard shifting that its a tell tale sign the transmission is in due for either servicing or rebuilding time... a solenoid sometimes cures the issue.. But with that amount of miles on it.. I'm leaning toward a rebuild.

I would suggest to your Trans Mechanic what would he charge for a soft rebuild versus hard rebuild... If that's possible... Depending on the current shape/condition of the transmission. It could save yu around $1000.00 or more... Not knowing where your from (what state) its kinda hard to recommend a good qualified shop to help you and best solve your transmission problem...

Maybe someone else will ciome in with more ideas on how to handle your trans issues.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 PM

Because when the filter is clooged it prevents fluid from circulating the transmission. My last tranny did the same thing. Ur supposed to change it every 30k miles.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds to me like your fluid was either low or about wore out from all the extra work being demanded of it. I had many similiar symptoms on my S10 and GMC Sierra, never replaced the tranny, would just add the Lucas Stop Slip (available at Autozone,Checker, Walmart etc.) to the fluid and off I would go. If your tight on coin could not hurt to check your fluid level and add a quart of the Lucas to it. Will probably get you a few thousand more miles down the road. It does not matter if your fluid level is a quart over by adding the Lucas. In three or so months suck some fluid back out with a simple pump suction fluid transfer thing from Walmart automotive section and add some more Lucas. I have done this for over 3 years now with my ZR2 and 1.5 with my GMC. Your essentially thickening the fluid back up so it has the ability to work the tranny components.

$2800 is on the high side in my opinion, check your local Craigslist or online local ads and I bet you can get a rebuilt tranny for $600 to $800 max. And that shop will usually do the install for about $1100 or so more. You can usually ask around at Autozone or other mechanics and find out who is good and fairly priced. The shops who do nothing but tranny's tend to feel people who come to them are fresh meat and do not take the time to find other shops or don't know anyone and reel you in like a fish. They think they have you over a barrel and this is their bread and butter forte and try to get as much as possible from each customer. And the sad part is they tend to do substandard work, telling you they did a whole rebuild and did nothing but a valve, filter, new fluid if they can get away with it. I mean if the torque converter is fried they can't cheat that, but I bet your getting a bottom dollar one. They can't have more than $400 in parts in a rebuild.

So in closing get your car back, tell them some excuse, need to think about it etc. But go with a quart of the Lucas Stop Slip, a quart of new DEX IV fluid and a thin tipped funnel and put it in before you try and drive it away. Work the gears back and forth while your stationary to get the fluid circulating and up to temp. I would bet you will find yourself on the road again. My S-10 and GMC always needs the Lucas added more reguarly in the Hot summer temps and less in the winter as the viscosity thins in relation to the temperature. Can't hurt to try, all you will be out is $25 for the Lucas and a quart of fluid.

I would not do the MAF if there are no codes either. Especially if they gave you an aftermarket one as those tend to go bad rather quickly and then your back to more frustrations.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The maf is a waste of money to change if its not throwing a code. I also feel that's high on price. If i was to diagnose the trans over the internet without being there I am willing to bet the clutches are about toast and all the clutch "mud" is in the pan and filter clogging things up and your loosing line pressure. If you let it sit and cool down and try to move it I bet it will move like there is no issue but only until it warms up then the issue will be back. With this said all the hard parts in the trans sound to be good so no reason to replace them. If you rebuild the trans I would do all clutches, bands, seals, solenoids. Only replaced the hard parts if there warn which I doubt they are but you never know until its opened up.

If the thought crossed your mind because I said the filter is probably clogged to just change it and go, this will work for very little time and will just cause more damage. Unfortunately its time for a rebuild.

I am on trans 4 in turbo Monte and I build my own trans so I am pretty familiar with the crappy 4t65 lol

Last edited by turbo monte; 01-20-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
The maf is a waste of money to change if its not throwing a code. I also feel that's high on price. If i was to diagnose the trans over the internet without being there I am willing to bet the clutches are about toast and all the clutch "mud" is in the pan and filter clogging things up and your loosing line pressure. If you let it sit and cool down and try to move it I bet it will move like there is no issue but only until it warms up then the issue will be back. With this said all the hard parts in the trans sound to be good so no reason to replace them. If you rebuild the trans I would do all clutches, bands, seals, solenoids. Only replaced the hard parts if there warn which I doubt they are but you never know until its opened up.

If the thought crossed your mind because I said the filter is probably clogged to just change it and go, this will work for very little time and will just cause more damage. Unfortunately its time for a rebuild.

I am on trans 4 in turbo Monte and I build my own trans so I am pretty familiar with the crappy 4t65 lol
Well there goes the budget John... I was doing the $25 rebuild. You speak the truth as to what is the correct way to get the car back on the road. I'm just trying to get a poor mans rebuild done and get some more free miles from her till she is really good and broke down...

Old 01-20-2014, 09:06 PM

Either way a filter would b worth trying before dumping 3k

Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In my eyes its not worth it because you don't know how worn the clutches are and if all the friction material is gone now its metal on metal, metal going in all the bearings, torque converter, valve body and channel plate.... remember I said as of now the hard parts should be fine well if you do the $25 bandaid it could trash the whole thing. And clutches, solenoids, bands are not $3000 and if labor cost takes it that high then I need to open up a 4t65 rebuild shop because Ide be rich

Last edited by turbo monte; 01-20-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission bad - Need quick advice please!