Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need help identifying the problem

Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Default Need help identifying the problem

Whats up guys first post here just needing some opinions on this problem im having with my monte carlo.

So I recently bought an '03 monte carlo SS and about a couple weeks ago it started messing up. What happened was i stopped for gas one night and when i got back in to drive off it started then quickly died out and wouldnt start back up the battery is good so it wasnt that. After having it towed home it would stay started for 5 minutes before sputtering and dieing and then it wont start again when i do turn the key over its like it wants to start but it wont unless i have my foot on the gas pedal, when I take my foot off it just dies. Ive changed the fuel pump & fuel filter drained the gas as a friend of mine thought it was bad fuel but so far nothing has worked. Had a scanner hooked up to it and got no error codes so im at a total loss as to what it is wrong with it.

Any ideas or opinions as to what this could be would be extremely helpful as i just dont know what it could be anymore.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be a Vacuum line that has got a hole in it or fallen off. I had a Monte that did the same thing it was my sons car. It was a main vacuum line that cam loose. Maybe that could be the same here??

Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Mines not an "SS"...

But mine kinda did the same thing...turns out I had a bad MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) Bought a new AC Delco and problem solved...

I also agree could also be a main vacuum line...

How does it run after it starts with using the accelerator?

Rough? Normal? or Eratic?

Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member

Most the time a bad MAF will cause a service engine code. But not always have seen it not throw a code once or twice. Those aren't cheap to go throwing at it on a guess though.
Get some MAF cleaner at the parts store and spray it out as per instructions is a good place to start