Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need help, engine problems. Possible LIM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:44 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Need help, engine problems. Possible LIM?

Well here goes. The Monte has sat awhile and I wanted to get er back on the road. I'd been running Valvoline High Mileage Nonsyn in it. Well My grandpa picked up the oil and got Valvoline high mileage syn blend after consulting a few people I've worked on cars with and a mechanic they said as long as it wasn't full syn I would be fine. So I changed to oil today got er all done and started er up I was so happy until... I went to the front of the car and there is smoke coming from it now I looked and this will sound odd but the smoke seems to be coming off the headers themselves not from a connection or anywhere but like literally from the outside of the headers after racking my brain with the internet I knew mcf would help me out. Now besides that smoke, which happens maybe 30-60 seconds after its running I have a lot of chatter which I would describe as lifter chatter. So if it is indeed the LIM and lifters what all should I have replaced, what parts should I get (part #s would be great) and what will it run me. I don't have the tools or skills to tackle this job combined with work etc my mechanic is reasonable with labor so it may turn out ok just looking for what its run people before. Really getting depressed here 79,014 miles and might be costing me a pretty penny with a kid on the way really not my day.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 PM

If it helps any the smoke usually starts when it gets warmed up. Its a white smoke not a deep white very light. and it only comes from the header area not from the bolts or connections just the headers themselves and possibly the plugs.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:56 PM

smokes from around the exhaust manifold still. driving me insane so should I get coolant elbows too if its the LIM? Also should I get this stuff from ZZP or??

Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do a pressure check and see where it is comming from,

Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM

Im gonna have it looked at as soon as my mechanic has a free moment. After its fixed should i keep runnong the syn blend or change back to conventional? From what ive researched it seems to be the LIM my buddy says to check the coolant elbows too but the lifter chatter is quiet noticable so that bothers me.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 PM

Also should i use a higher weight oil sonce its a synthetic blend?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First off, changing from conventional oil to synthetic will not do any harm. They are 100% compatible with one another. The synthetic actually offers better protection because the base of the oil doesn't break down as rapidly as conventional oil. You can leave synthetic in your crankcase or switch back to conventional at your next oil change. The choice is yours. No need to change viscosity - use the same whether conventional or synthetic.

At first I was thinking the smoke may have been caused by oil accidently slipped on the exhaust when it was changed, but if that was the case it should have burned off after a while. White smoke would be indicative of a coolant leak. As Justin suggested, have the cooling system pressure tested. If the LIM gasket does need changing it would be a good idea to replace the coolant elbows while doing the job.

It's odd that the lifters would suddenly start clattering simply from an oil change. Was the same viscosity oil used?

Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Heres something else to consider;

Maybe this only happens randomly.... (NON SPECIFIC) Models of vehicles.

My wife had a 1999 Chevrolet Blazer... Typically (like me) she used conventional oil in it... One day she went to the local oil change place...
Didnt notice that they put synthetic oil in it.... even though she said to me that it cost much more than usual. I said lemme see the receipt, Thats when I noticed that they didnt use conventional oil. and used synthetic oil instead... No sooner did I say that and it started just clacking away!!!!!

So naturally I started checking to see if there was gas or any other fluids starting to contaminate it. Took it for a drive (About 10 miles) and it was ticking up a storm!

I know the owner of the oil change shop. (Mike) So, I drove it up there and asked why would your guys put synthetic in the Mrs Blazer when you know I use nothing but conventional? Of course I showed him the receipt,
Which confirmed the fact that they put synthetic in it...
He told me no Problem Dave I will make it right... Which he did... He refunded me the difference in cash. The moments shortly after i started it up (After have conventional put in it)... WALLA the ticking went away! Needless to say it never ticked again!... So it could be you may have 1 of those that will tick when useing synthetic oils? Thats when it also had 81,000 miles on it...Possibly,the valve covers have sprung a leak?
Does it smell like oils burning? Or does it have a sort of "sweet" smell? That should tell you if its oil or antifreeze leak...(antifreeze has a sweet smell)
Something to consider.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-13-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
First off, changing from conventional oil to synthetic will not do any harm. They are 100% compatible with one another. The synthetic actually offers better protection because the base of the oil doesn't break down as rapidly as conventional oil. You can leave synthetic in your crankcase or switch back to conventional at your next oil change. The choice is yours. No need to change viscosity - use the same whether conventional or synthetic.

At first I was thinking the smoke may have been caused by oil accidently slipped on the exhaust when it was changed, but if that was the case it should have burned off after a while. White smoke would be indicative of a coolant leak. As Justin suggested, have the cooling system pressure tested. If the LIM gasket does need changing it would be a good idea to replace the coolant elbows while doing the job.

It's odd that the lifters would suddenly start clattering simply from an oil change. Was the same viscosity oil used?
Yes it was he same it was 5w-30 like the manual says. Ive read that switching to a synthetic blnd will make the problem areas more noticable save you have a leaking seal and didnt notice it when u switch to syn it will be obvious where it is something to do with the detergents and velocity i think. Anyway if it turna out i have to do an LIM id planned on doing that the gasket fot the supercharger the coolant elbows. (Are the zzp aluminum elbows a good idea?) And i think there was a few other things in my cart for gaskets and seals but i cant remeber now. Im unsure why the lifters are chatyer or if thats exactly what it is butbim 00% sure it is. So if i need new gaskets and lifters etc what brands do you all recommend? Id rather be safe and nail it all at once if the lim turns out to be the issue so i wont have extra exense down the road. Like i said very disappointing but i love my monte so its here to stay

Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Heres something else to consider;

Maybe this only happens randomly.... (NON SPECIFIC) Models of vehicles.

My wife had a 1999 Chevrolet Blazer... Typically (like me) she used conventional oil in it... One day she went to the local oil change place...
Didnt notice that they put synthetic oil in it.... even though she said to me that it cost much more than usual. I said lemme see the receipt, Thats when I noticed that they didnt use conventional oil. and used synthetic oil instead... No sooner did I say that and it started just clacking away!!!!!

So naturally I started checking to see if there was gas or any other fluids starting to contaminate it. Took it for a drive (About 10 miles) and it was ticking up a storm!

I know the owner of the oil change shop. (Mike) So, I drove it up there and asked why would your guys put synthetic in the Mrs Blazer when you know I use nothing but conventional? Of course I showed him the receipt,
Which confirmed the fact that they put synthetic in it...
He told me no Problem Dave I will make it right... Which he did... He refunded me the difference in cash. The moments shortly after i started it up (After have conventional put in it)... WALLA the ticking went away! Needless to say it never ticked again!... So it could be you may have 1 of those that will tick when useing synthetic oils? Thats when it also had 81,000 miles on it...Possibly,the valve covers have sprung a leak?
Does it smell like oils burning? Or does it have a sort of "sweet" smell? That should tell you if its oil or antifreeze leak...(antifreeze has a sweet smell)
Something to consider.
I thought about switching back but id really like to run a syn blend. I just have the feeling that if i seitch back and the problems "gone" that itd just be hiding the real problem. It all depends on what the mechanic says when he looks at it. And he loves 3800s so i know hes great with them him son has a grand prix gt he hasa 4 door 04 grand prix and his daughters both have 3800 powered impalas. Plus he charges reasonable for labor since hes a family friend so i hope it all plays out ok.