Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Possible Passlock or BCM or Something Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Possible Passlock or BCM or Something Problems

First let me say sorry for starting yet another Passlock thread, but I've read most all the horror stories on here, and to be honest it's scaring the **** out of me.

My issue goes like this...
2003 Monte SS all stock, including the stereo.
I have an aftermarket Viper brand alarm installed since 2003. Don't know how they installed it, was done at authorized Viper dealer, so I'm assuming it was correctly installed(never had any issues with it).

Thursday:
The car started but I have no gauges, none not even odometer, the overhead info center works, no stereo, no dome light, a/c controls work. So it scared me, I turned it off and then it wouldn't start, no fuel pump engage, no clicking from the starter, nothing. I checked the connection at the battery was ok I thought, was pretty clean, voltage read like 12.7ish. Checked all the starting related fuses on the inside drivers fuse panel all were good. I had left the key in the on position by accident really while I was checking all this so when I reconnected the battery I heard the door chime, had a dome light so I turned it over and cranked right up.

Friday: No issues

Saturday: Same crap happened except when I disconnected the battery and plugged it back in, didn't start. But maybe because I didn't leave the key on and wasn't near 10mins. But while it was running I checked the voltage to the battery from the alternator was a nice 14.something, also checked for A/C voltage from the alternator was less than 1/2 a volt.
I left the battery unhooked came inside, cried a little while reading the horror stories, and researched about the Passlock waiting 10mins and thought I'd try it out, but when I connected the battery turned it over and started right up no issues.

Why would the Passlock system effect the gauges? Or is this a combo of Passlock and BCM or the guage cluster itself?

Are there testing procedures for Passlock systems? If so could someone be kind enough to tell me how. Where do I start? Would the Viper alarm already have the resistor hack installed? It's not remote start just alarm/lock/unlock doors and trunk.

Sorry for such a lock post, just trying to give as much info as possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

If it happens again tomorrow I'm gonna see if any codes come up but I doubt any will.

-Earle

--------------UPDATE----------
Sunday: Started but now I have no A/C blower works just won't kick on. All gauges are functional EXCEPT voltage gauge show almost nothing. While running I rechecked EVERY fuse, battery alternator output, all show good working condition. Service Engine light alternating with Security light and Battery in the info center. The radio works, but I can't access any settings, when attempting to do so it goes blank. I checked for codes using my scan tool but none shown. One time after turning the car off then just leaving it in the ON subjected me to a series of three beeps (i think) then nothing. Just went to try and start it again an won't start. I'll try the 10min deal when I go back out.

I'm getting freaked out here, I don't really know of a way to test the BCM other than hooking another one up to it. I'm starting to think this has little to do with Passlock and everything to do with the stupid Body Control Module....anyone else care to help me out?

Last edited by 03.SS.montecarlo; 05-29-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like the BCM is acting up, I'm no more help than that, BCM failure is common with 6th gens.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Sounds like the BCM is acting up, I'm no more help than that, BCM failure is common with 6th gens.
I'm starting to feel the same way, please read my update.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 PM

Another update. The passlock relearn procedure doesn't work now. Radio is now none functional. Headlights non operational. Dome lights stay on no matter how long the doors are shut, and won't turn off by the switch or dim at all. I unplugged the battery for now. I think the BCM is done. Anyone want to chime in?

I contacted Morad parts they say they won't sell me one because 1/2 of them are locked? Does this mean I'm dealership bound? I can do all of except reprogram it obviously.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:28 PM

Just replaced the BCM in my 02 SS it goes for 169 at the dealer then they have to program it you can't do it your self make sure your option tag is still on the trunk lid it is needed to program the BCM once that was all done it like a brand new car =).

Old 05-29-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by SS Man
Just replaced the BCM in my 02 SS it goes for 169 at the dealer then they have to program it you can't do it your self make sure your option tag is still on the trunk lid it is needed to program the BCM once that was all done it like a brand new car =).
they program it out of the car? then give it to you to install? or did you just let them do it all? also was your car doing these sort of things as well? thanks for responding.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 AM

The car has to be there to program it and they will have to install it because when you install the BCM it locks you out no start, No crank at all till its programed and then they will have to relean your keys to the car hope this helps.

Sal

Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Question

The car has to be there to program it and they will have to install it because when you install the BCM it locks you out no start, No crank at all till its programed and then they will have to relean your keys to the car hope this helps.

Sal
Yes it helps. Thanks. What doesn't help is when I went out this morning to plug the battery back in. It started right up with no hint of an issue. No security light, nothing just like brand new. Man I'm really confused.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 PM

It reset it will happen again when you hit some ruff road it's just the way it is also check to see if your back up lights are blinking that is a tell of the BCM is going bad as well.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:16 PM

It reset it will happen again when you hit some ruff road it's just the way it is also check to see if your back up lights are blinking that is a tell of the BCM is going bad as well.

ok, i'll check next time it's happening, just another update I didn't drive it today but this morning all was good started right up after hooking the battery up, but this evening I happened to look out side and the dome lights just came on for no reason so I went to start it, wouldn't so I unhooked the battery, hopefully it will start in the morning for work. I'll just have to keep unhooking the battery for now. I called the town dealership they want $249 for the BCM and another $100 to install and program it.

Quick Reply: Possible Passlock or BCM or Something Problems