Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need AC Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Default Need AC Help

2 years ago my AC stopped blowing cold. I took it to a small mechanic and he tested it and said it was holding pressure so, while there was probably a small leak somewhere, the best bet was to recharge it. It held for 2 years, but now it's not cold again.

I just bought a recharge kit tonight and attempted to recharge it. The guy told me it held 36oz. I used the gauge that came with the kit and followed its instructions. I set the dial to the ambient temp (75*) and filled i until the needle was within that range (around 40 psi I think). This was only 18oz. I did notice that when I put the gage on there was some pressure on it already which I didn't think there would be. So I stopped here.

It is definitely colder, but not ice cold. I didn't run the system for a long time, maybe it needs to cool down?

I went back out into the garage and I could hear a sizzle sort of sound, a small whistle like air leaking out of a balloon. I popped the hood and there is smoke/steam coming from the the front left around the core support, near the air box and the sound is definitely coming from under the hood.

Thinking back, I did notice a lot of hot air coming from this area when I was charging it that wasn't there just from starting the car up.

I think I have a good idea what this is, but I'm looking to hear it from someone out there.

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Default Question #2

Question #2

Is it safe to drive with/without AC on? I assume so, but the steam/smoke scares me.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 PM

sounds like freon leaking out. I'm no ac expert but I believe you can damage the compressor running it without freon, so dont turn it on until you get it fixed