Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Nasty smell! Please help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Nasty smell! Please help?

Well, I am trying to dig up an old thread to add to but I can only find stuff on the 3800. All day I have been smelling the smell of antifreeze (I think). It also smells just like the inside of an old tire (you know what im talking about?) like if a tire sits for years with moister INFLATED. Then if you let the air out you get that really rank smell? So im not sure what this smell is, anyone ever heard of this?? Im very worried with this being my only car at this time and I really dont have the cash to go buy a new one right away (not that I want to anyway)

Old 05-15-2010, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member

And one more thing (if this helps) the smell stuck to me for about an hour. Yeah, it sounds strange but it did stick to me. Then, after the smell got off of me, I went out to my car and there was still the weak smell linguring around. PLEASE HELP ME HERE!?!?!?!?
EDIT:
AHH< one more thing (again) I used to have a car where I drilled my subs down in the trunk and punctured the spare tire and was smelling this same exact thing, thats how i know what the smell of an old tire smellls like.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:37 PM

Hi `Mike
When was the last time U changed your underwear

It sounds like it could be a bad heater core.
If it's a bad one you will notice the smell from your vents.

Have you every done any work before on your cooling system, and/or AC.
p.s. Have you ever changed you `CaT ? When they are going bad they SMELL SUPER `BAD ?
Check back on your thread & see what some of our
Expert Tech Member's post on the subject.
Wish you Good Luck on resolving the problem 4-Sure.

Auto Diagnosis - What's That Smell? - Popularmechanics.com

PM: What's That Smell? It's coming from your car. Should you worry? ... The bad news: A new cat is expensive. The good news is it's probably covered under ...
www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/2423551 -

Last edited by Space; 05-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:24 PM

its not uncommon for dexcool to smell funky, just like its not uncommon for it to be leaking from somewhere on a gm engine. best advice have a pressure test done at a shop to find the leak. unless that is that is visible from under the hood just pull off the engine cover and look around the intake, the heater hose connections, the plastic elbows from tensioner to intake, rad, and all the hoses. to date i've never had to change a heater core in a w-body
(and i work on a lot of em) dexcool is redish or pink and will dry sometimes as a pinkish crusty looking fuzz.
if your smelling it inside the car don't worry too much yet because the coolant smell will suck through the cabin filter and stink it up inside.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:52 PM

i've always notice antifreeze smells sweet, thats why animals drink it. but anyways, it could be mold growing on the evaporator too, and your smelling it if your using your ac more now. turn your air on and see if it smells more when it blows hot or cold, just a quick test! and post your results

Old 05-15-2010, 09:18 PM

Your graphic description of the smell made me smell it over here! Gross!!

I don't know what could be causing that. Notice any leaks under the hood at all?

Old 05-16-2010, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member

Cant see any leaks, not losing fluid, and on top of all that, I cant smell it today. Come to think of it, I couldnt smell it last night when I took off.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:29 PM

Not in the monte, but in my truck I had similar experience. The thing smelled like burning rubber or hot antifreeze. There wasn't a coolant leak. The heater core was OK. But my windshield washer fluid kept going down. The Z-71 washer resevior is under the battery and the stuff that goes there corrodes the lines. It is windsheild washer antifreeze dripping on hot engine I smelled.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 AM
10 Year Member

OHHHH? My washer fluid light came on also. This might be it cause my fluid is empty now and the smell is gone. Thank you.