Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

more than one issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Unhappy more than one issue

i am an owner of a 2003 SS. My car seems to be having several issues in which i can't figure out. First sometimes the security light comes on and it won't crank. when it does crank the traction light and security light and the ABS light comes on. I have took it to my teck and he don't know how to fix it. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

Old 05-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The problem when the security light illuminates is caused by the Passlock system. For some reason the ignition does not recognize the key, so the car will not turn over. Sometimes when it happens a security relearn process will fix it:

This takes approx. 35 minutes to complete:
Turn key to ON position and leave it there for 11 minutes.
Tuen key to OFF position and leave there for 10 seconds.
Repeat the above procedure 3 times, then start the car.

If the above doesn't resolve the problem then the Passlock system will need to be diagnosed, or some have elected to bypass the Passlock system. A search for Passlock Work Around will net lots of information on how it is done.

A common cause for the ABS and TRAC lights to come on simultaniously is a bad wheel bearing. The bearing and ABS sensor are both contained in the wheel hub. When the bearing wears it skews the ABS sensor signal and the computer thinks there is a prblem with the ABS system. It (the computer) sets the ABS light and disables traction control which sets that light. Replacement of the wheel hub usually resolves the problem. Physical inspection of both front and rear wheel hubs is required and/or the computer needs to be scanned to see which wheel triggered the code.

Edit: I forgot to mention cleaning the key (rubbing alcohol works) before doing the security relearn. If it's dirty that could be why it isn't recognized.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 05-07-2013 at 01:25 PM.