New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Want Aerocoupe, any more desireable than others?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Default Want Aerocoupe, any more desireable than others?

Hi, ill try to keep this short and to the point. I am looking for an 1987 Aerocoupe. I have been watching ebay trying to get a feel for pricing and looking for a project that I dont have to drive halfway across the country to obtain. Any particular options i should be looking for that would make one Aerocoupe more desireable than another? There are several on ebay right now i have been watching and 2 in particular here in Ohio which would be a bonus for me since thats where I am. There is one in particular that has me a bit puzzled its item number 260101748355 for those who would be so kind to look. Any ideas why this one is has had so many bids or why its going for what its going for? It looks to be the roughest of any i have seen so far yet it looks like there are lots of people bidding and the price its up to seems high considering others in better shape havent went for much more. Is this a desireable option combo with the Aerocoupe, bench seat and t tops? Ive seenAerocoupes with t tops and buckets and and no tops and bench. Granted i haven seen every combo out there so im curious is the t top, bench seat something desireable. Or any ides why this one may be going for what its going for considering there are 2 others one there with much better bodies and they are not getting the action this one is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Default RE: Want Aerocoupe, any more desireable than others?

I am not aware of any particular '87 being more desirable or rare than another.I do know in "86 they only made 200,all white,but in "87 they made like 4000 in all colors.My ex mother in law has a maroon '87 t-top car with buckets and console she bought used in 1988 with 9000 miles on it and put it away in storage.Too bad she won't sell it.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Laserblue06ss
I am not aware of any particular '87 being more desirable or rare than another.I do know in "86 they only made 200,all white,but in "87 they made like 4000 in all colors.My ex mother in law has a maroon '87 t-top car with buckets and console she bought used in 1988 with 9000 miles on it and put it away in storage.Too bad she won't sell it.
Good Infor Laserblue06, I would be extra nice to my ex mother in law : )
[hr]

[align=center]Limited Model[/align][align=center]Rare 1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe: V8[/align][align=center]In '86, Chevy came out with a limited-edition version of the SS called the Aerocoupe, designed with NASCAR competition in mind, just like in the good old days of the Plymouth Superbird and Charger Daytona. The Aerocoupe was defined by its unique raised rear glass, which followed the roofline back to the tail to cut aerodynamic drag at high speeds. According to published figures, the swept-back "aero" rear glass reduced the car's drag coefficient relative to the standard notchback SS by nearly three percent - a big deal on the high-speed ovals where race versions of the Monte were running. These cars also had a unique ducktail spoiler, which provided downforce on the car's rear end and added to the heavy-breathing stock-car ambiance. This was also the first year for standard gas-charged Delco Bilstein shocks and new argent/aluminum 15x7 wheels very similar to the ones used on the '80-'81 Camaro Z-28. Smoked-glass T-tops became a popular option.

Of the 161,067 SS Monte Carlos produced during the five-year run between 1983 and 1988, Aerocoupes are the most rare, 1986 models especially. Just 200 were produced, with another 6052 built the following year. All were white with identical options, which would have included the new-for-'86 15x7 aluminum rims with Goodyear Eagle GT tires, F41 sport suspension with high-effort steering, and special "SS" decals and stripes.

The base price for the '87 Aerocoupe was $14,838, vs. $13,463 for the standard notchback SS. By this time, unfortunately, sales had dropped sharply, down to 16,204. 1988 would also be the final year for the Monte Carlo SS - and, sadly, for a rear-drive, V-8 Monte Carlo. (Chevy decided that the future was in smaller, front-drive models like the soon-to-be-released Lumina.)
[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]It's for sale $25K[:-][/align][align=center]http://www.classyauto.com/v/used/Chevrolet+Monte+Carlo/SS+Aero+Coupe/54818[/align]

< Message edited by SpaceRider -- 3/16/2007 3:44:53 PM >

Old 04-01-2007, 11:24 PM

Welcome to the forum Mike. The Aerocoupe is a very desireable car for the collector, hence the cost. If you aren't particular about getting the factory option, you can take a regular SS and modify it to look identicle for less cost.