Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Monte stalling frequently

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Default Monte stalling frequently

Hi, I have an 02 Monte as with 170,xxx miles on it and frequently I've been having stalling issues and some jumpy rpms sometimes. I've replaced my maf twice, my map today and still acts the same. It will turn over on startup sometimes and just die unless I rev it up and hold it. Also while driving if I let my foot off the gas it'll die sometimes. While driving it'll jump once every blue moon also. Thanks for any input

Old 09-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My first guess is that the spark plugs have not been changed in over 100K miles? If that is the case, start there.

This thread will cover a lot of the basic maintenance items for a car hitting 100K or even 200K miles and may have some ideas to what might be part of your issues.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...0-miles-46078/

Old 09-14-2014, 12:54 AM

Checked the plugs I have those changed about 30,xxx ago, they are still good. Maybe a vac line disconnected? PVC valve?

Old 09-14-2014, 09:29 AM

10 Year Member

What brand and type of plugs? If the answer is BOSCH anything for plugs, pull'em. I've had way too many screwy experiences (including short life spans) on BOSCH plugs. If they are copper plugs, switch to at least platinums or irridium (irridium is what the factory uses).

Keep in mind, these are just some long shots in the dark, but the next thing I would consider is a plugged fuel filter, change that next (and even if that's not the issue, if you have not changed it, this is just good maintenance).

Also, are you working with a 3800 or a 3400 v6?

Old 09-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
What brand and type of plugs? If the answer is BOSCH anything for plugs, pull'em. I've had way too many screwy experiences (including short life spans) on BOSCH plugs. If they are copper plugs, switch to at least platinums or irridium (irridium is what the factory uses).

Keep in mind, these are just some long shots in the dark, but the next thing I would consider is a plugged fuel filter, change that next (and even if that's not the issue, if you have not changed it, this is just good maintenance).

Also, are you working with a 3800 or a 3400 v6?
Hey maniac what do you think about bosch spark plug wires? They came with the engine and I heard from a few people that the plugs are trash so what about the wires? Also I was just having a stalling issue as well code read multiple misfires but turned out that a vacuum line came lose once fixed problem and code went away. So check around for vacuum leaks as well

Old 09-14-2014, 04:29 PM

10 Year Member

I've used BOSCH wires a ton. Lifetime warranty, stock spec, zero issues. My '04 Grand Am has a set of them on it right now.

But BOSCH plugs, big no-no in my book.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is the service engine light showing any codes?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be something as simple as either a dirty TPS (throttle position sensor)..Remove it... inspect,clean,lightly regrease it and replace it.. or possibly the IAC (Idle air control)... You could also check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail! Maybe you have a clogged fuel filter or even a failing fuel pump?

Please tell me your not using a K&N cold air system or Air filter...
If you are... I would remove it Immediately as the oils in the filter tend to Contaminate the MAF..thus causing idle,running acceleration issues...

Keep us posted on your progress and the eventual fix.!

Old 09-17-2014, 02:18 AM

I have a K&N cold air intake on my 03 ss, had it for years! works great! just have to make sure not to over oil it when its cleaning time and allow it to dry completely before putting it back in! mine did this a while back, changed the plugs,wires,cleaned the MAF and that fixed it??

Old 10-11-2014, 12:50 AM
Default Updatw

Since this I have changed: map, maf, idle air control valve, spark plugs, fuel filter and have even cleaned the throttle body and upper intake also changed air filter, I'm lost its a 3800 series 2 02 Monte carlo ss, 174000 miles.
It's sometimes turning over then just dying when warmed up unless I'm pressing the gas. and sputtering when I'm driving when it's warmed up and sometimes dies when idling. The only code I have is for one of the fans. And other ideas? It only goes to halfway up the temp gauge at all times by the way.

Quick Reply: Monte stalling frequently