Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Monte Electrical / Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 12:21 PM
1 Year Member
Default Monte Electrical / Ignition

In reading posts,, the problem we are having could be the dash mounted ignition switch, the patient is a 2000 Monte Carlo, 3.4L. What it does, Cam Sensor Error Code, keeps returning, have installed a new cam sensor, code still returns. Multiple miss-behaves along with cam error code, when wipers are turned on they work, but will be slow to turn off,, or may stop in mid stroke,, turn signals will quit working, then if ignition is turned off, then back on, they will work again, car will stall at stop light, today I noticed at idle,, then when revved up just a little, tach drops slower, and dash lights / mileage light dim for a split second,,,,,,,,, jeepers,,,, can the ignition switch make all that stuff happen ?

Old 04-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Cool >Good Luck<

Sorry to read about your Monte Problems. Check back to see what our expert tech member post when they view your thread. Until then you may want to check out the below information. Good Luck

www.doityourself.com/stry/symptoms-of-a-bad-ignition-switch

If your vehicle is having trouble starting, it could be showing signs of a failing ignition switch. Some symptoms may be similar to other problems like starter motor ...

www.aa1car.com/library/ignition_switch.htm

The ignition switch is the master switch that provides power for the vehicle's electrical ... The cause may be a bad solenoid, an electrical fault between the ignition switchcircuit and the ... This is one of the most common symptoms of a worn ignition switch. .... Cadillac Deville, 2000-2005 ... Chevy Monte Carlo, 2006-2008.

" target="_blank">
▶ 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWvVkJtkE2Q
Jan 23, 2015 - Uploaded by GMManiac
Ignition Switch Failure - Symptoms (TrailBlazer/Envoy) .... How To Replace Install Ignition Switch 2000-05 ...

" target="_blank">
▶ 10:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSfqZJ3FQrA
Apr 24, 2014 - Uploaded by RatchetsAnd Wrenches
Here is how you can replace an ignition switch on a 2005 Chevy Monte Carlo. ... +batterista The switch ...

" target="_blank">
▶ 2:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWYhYx8bMWg
Oct 5, 2014 - Uploaded by Thomas EXOVCDS
VW A3: Signs of a bad Ignition Switch ... Ignition Switchreplacement: ..... How To Replace Install Ignition ...

" target="_blank">
▶ 1:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGaXLXuOxGg
Dec 31, 2014 - Uploaded by phigo4kins
2005 Chevy Impala BAD Starter Symptom [Infamous GM No Start No Crank Issue] ... This same problem ...

www.topix.com › Chevrolet

Apr 15, 2010 - I have a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo (base model) and it randomly will not ... but I think it may be something behind the ignition switch going bad.

montecarloforum.com › ... › General Forums › Monte Carlo Repair Help

May 28, 2009 - 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Trader Rating0) ... Do anyone know how to REPLACE a ignition switch solenoid? I am trying to cut cost and know how to repair my own problems. If anyone can .... Tags · 01, 02, 2000, carlo, change, cylinder, ignition, ingition, key, lock, monte, putting, stuck, switch, turn, wont ...

www.gminsidenews.com/.../02-monte-carlo-intermittently-will-not-start-...

Feb 24, 2011 - I seem to have a crazy issue with my 2002 Monte Carlo SS. In October, she started up when I picked my kids up from school, went to gas station ...

www.gminsidenews.com/forums/.../2000-monte-carlo-wont-start-62381/

My son has a 2000 Monte Carlo SS with an ignition problem. What happens: Turningignition key to on, security light comes on momentarily( as has been.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bubba, I think your suspicion of the ignition switch is correct. It can cause various problems as it acts as a hub for Class 2 Serial Data information exchange with the BCM and PCM and VAT chip in the key cylinder. The problem is becoming more and more common as our Monte's age and the points and contacts in the switch wear out or get dirty. The following video shows a guy cleaning the switch, personally I would replace it.

Last edited by plumbob; 04-03-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:57 PM

The cam sensor code is the only one of your symptoms that I haven't heard of but doesn't mean that can't be affected also. Everything else could for sure be caused by the ignition switch. It can also cause the security light/no start scenario, airbag light on, battery light on, blower motor problems, speaker buzz and I'm sure there are a couple of more things. My 2001 had all these issues and replacing the ignition switch fixed everything. I reused the key cylinder and the switch was only about $40 online.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member

I agree with jim1405 on the cam sensor code. That could be a separate issue.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:53 PM

Thanks `Bob for your help and sharing your knowledge with many member's. You're a great contributing member to the MCF + a asset to member's with problems with their Monte Carlo's

Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks guys for the replies,,,, this car [ my Grandson's ] has done some funky things for a while,,,, the cam sensor error, has been around a long time,,, replaced the sensor,,, then after that had to replace the heads,,, as they were both warped ,,,,, I may try a switch,, they are less than 50 bucks, and easily available,,,,looks like not much fun to get at, but at least not a dirty-greasy job. I would not think cleaning the switch, would be a good idea, considering the time and effort to get at switch,,,,thank you again, fellas'.

"Bubba"

Old 04-05-2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by PtownBubba
Thanks guys for the replies,,,, this car [ my Grandson's ] has done some funky things for a while,,,, the cam sensor error, has been around a long time,,, replaced the sensor,,, then after that had to replace the heads,,, as they were both warped ,,,,, I may try a switch,, they are less than 50 bucks, and easily available,,,,looks like not much fun to get at, but at least not a dirty-greasy job. I would not think cleaning the switch, would be a good idea, considering the time and effort to get at switch,,,,thank you again, fellas'.

"Bubba"
The repair isn't actually very hard at all. I don't think we're supposed to post links to other forums but do a google search on '7th gen ignition switch replacement' and you will find an excellent write up for doing this on Impalas and it's almost entirely the same for a Monte, I think the only difference is a few screws in the glove box for the Monte if I remember correctly.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jim1405
The repair isn't actually very hard at all. I don't think we're supposed to post links to other forums but do a google search on '7th gen ignition switch replacement' and you will find an excellent write up for doing this on Impalas and it's almost entirely the same for a Monte, I think the only difference is a few screws in the glove box for the Monte if I remember correctly.
Jim, unless I missed something, Bubba has a 2000 LS which is a 6th gen. same as the R&W videos in the above posts.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:16 PM
1 Year Member

Yes ,,, a 2K Monte LS 3.4L. My Grandson Alex, [ who works at Car Quest / Advanced ] ordered a switch today, they offer 3 brands, I think he got the Dorman, probably just the switch , and not the key/tumbler set along with it,,, will study all the videos, to avoid unnecessary cussing during install,,,,

thanks again guys,,, we are trying to keep the ole' Monte alive, a little longer.

Show Printable Version
Email this Page