Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Monte Carlo IAC valve issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Default Monte Carlo IAC valve issues

Well, I am not too sure if it is the IAC valve, just after troubleshooting on the internet it seems that may be the problem.

I Own a Cherry Red 99 Monte Carlo LS (automatic), and just today (right after I accidentally hit the curb making a turn, did not know if this could cause anything) i've noticed some odd things about my car.

When I start it, the engine gets louder than normal. In Neutral the RPM's hit up to two to three thousand, and the idle moving speed (in Reverse or Drive) starts at ~10mph, and continues to accelerate by itself, occasionally the car on flat land will take itself up to 50mph.

It was not a gradual problem, it only just became a problem, earlier in the day my car was running as normal.

Through the internet, it seems to be that the IAC valve may be very dirty; however, I have next to no mechanical skills and am quite fearful of removing it and cleaning it myself, although I do have the proper tools to do so.

In case it could be another issue, has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so, could they tell me how they fixed it? And if anybody has brought it to a mechanic for this issue, how much is it to clean the IAC valve? Or replace? Also, if it is possible for a college student with little to no mechanical experience (I can change oil, it ends about there) to clean this/replace it himself?

Thank you for your help.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

IAC may not be a bad starting point. Cleaning it's easy:
- Remove it
- Spray with carb clean, use a small brush (like a tooth brush) and lightly scrub it.
- Wipe off debris and carb clean, repeat until clean.

- Don't forget to clean where the IAC sits! Something along the lines of a bottle brush might help.
- Spray where the IAC sits on the throttle body with carb clean, use the bottle brush to work out the debris.
- Wad up a paper towel, feed into the area and twist around to help dry/remove debris where the IAC sits.

All together, I'd say you are looking at a 10 minute process.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:30 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Its pretty easy to do, just take your time with it is all

Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 PM

I've seen IAC valves out of cars before, but could somebody give me a more in-depth explanation of how to move it from a similar model car? And how to physically clean it, many youtube videos have people taking apart the valve.