Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Metallic grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 06:59 AM
1 Year Member
Default Metallic grinding noise

Hey everyone hope all is well. I have a problem with my MC that I just can't figure it out. I have this metallic grinding noise when I make a sharp left turn. Now I've replaced the axle and the hub on the passenger side and its still there. I thought maybe it was my rack and pinion since it was leaking, but that's brand new now and so is the intermediate steering shaft. Now I've got intense coilover on the car, zzp control arms, and Zzp HD trans upgrade kit. My question is could sub frame bushings being bad make that noise, could possibly a sway end link make that noise, or could the HD diff be making that noise. I had a buddy of mine do the HD kit while I was at work and I'm not a 100% sure if he did it right. So MCF you guys haven't failed me yet give me your opinions on this all help is appreciated 😌

Last edited by kywils89; 02-28-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Does it make this noise only while moving, or can you hear it when you are standing still and turn the wheel to the right? It is a Long shot but take a look at your inner brake pad. I had a Similar noise with a BMW I owned. For some odd reason the inner pad was not seated correctly but would only grind when I made a right turn. But as I said, that's a long shot.
If you can get the car on a lift that would be the best way to find this problem.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:14 PM
1 Year Member

Yeah it only makes the noise while moving, but only if I'm not on the gas and turning. It's weird it only makes it while coasting turning left and it does get louder when braking turning to the left, so you might of nailed my problem with the brake pad thing. My question then would be did you ever hear it while just driving straight?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

There was a bit of a rattle while driving straight. My passengers did not here it until I was turning and or braking. I found the cause to be odd. The inner calipers was opening just a inth of an inch too much when I released the brakes. Then when I hit the brake the leading edge of the pad hit the rotor first, that made it rattle more. The problem for that car was 2 fold. The caliper was rusting and the line going to that calipers was crimped. I replace both and bleed the whole system, and the problem was gone.
I think the problem is in your brakes, but I would not go as to say your problem is exactly the same as mine. After all, we are talking BMWs to GMs. Best thing I can say is to have you brakes checked!

Old 03-01-2016, 02:09 AM
1 Year Member

Well almost a full year later and found the problem it was the diff. My buddy didn't put the shims in when he installed it and it was chewing the gears up �� smh trans shop rebuilding the trans now putting a 2500 stall converter in it and a upgraded input shaft