Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Driver Side Mirror Uneven

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:43 PM
1 Year Member
Default Driver Side Mirror Uneven

I just replaced my driver side mirror because the other one had cracked and when I put it back on, it keeps on going on crooked. The screws will be flush on the inside but the mirror will be crooked on the outside. And when I position the mirror so it is flush, the screws on the inside are crooked and I can't screw them all in. Here is a picture of the driver side and the passenger side to show you the difference.

Name:  20140509_144016.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  62.8 KB

Old 05-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is the mirror it self actually bent? It almost looks like it could be.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:32 PM
1 Year Member

thats what i thought but then I tried to put the original mirror on and it did the same thing. I dont know how the door itself would be bent either.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:53 AM

This happened to me on my 2005. While backing in my driveway one night, I had not noticed the light wind had close the gate half way and the passenger side mirror got caught in the gate.

These mirror housing is solid ! It will not break but instead, it will pull on the inside metal plate where it is attached enough to bend it out of shape. So instead of resting against the outer triangular part of the door, it rests against the metal plate under.

Here is how I fixed it :

I removed the interior of the door and removed the mirror.
The back stud hole was noticeably raised.
I took one of these :

I placed the rounded side against the stud hole and tapped on the flat side with a regular hammer until the plate had recessed towards the inside about 1/8 of an inch.

Then when I put the mirror back in place, it would rest on the triangular outside part of the door before bottoming on the metal plate inside, and when I screwed and tighted the nuts back on, they would pull the mirror nicely against the door.

I know nobody feels comfortable banging their car with a hammer but it worked for me. Just use the 2 hammers method to minimize the risk of miss hits and damage something. Also, it really doesn't require much force, gentle to medium force tapping does the job.