Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Low coolant.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Actually, the pending recall addresses leaking valve cover gaskets and has nothing to do with your coolant leak.

Good idea to get a second opinion.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by DEmonte2002
Took the monte in today to have it looked at at my local shop. He said he thinks it is just the dex-cool which he said will do that. Hmmm. Never heard that before. He wants to give it a good flush and he thinks that will do it. I had already cleaned the sludge around the cap and neck so he didn't see that although there was still some there. Think I will look for a second opinion.

Yes DEX COOL will do that seen it myself as well.

If possible get rid of DEX COOL all together I went with a premium antifreeze in my 04 Impala

I have also heard of the dealers adding some additive to some of these cars that were having the coolant leak issues probably something like BARS LEAK. This was considered OK and not just a band aid either.

Not sure if you owned yours since new as maybe someone put some additive into the coolant.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by montedd
Yes DEX COOL will do that seen it myself as well.

If possible get rid of DEX COOL all together I went with a premium antifreeze in my 04 Impala

I have also heard of the dealers adding some additive to some of these cars that were having the coolant leak issues probably something like BARS LEAK. This was considered OK and not just a band aid either.

Not sure if you owned yours since new as maybe someone put some additive into the coolant.
The Dexcool sludge is true, but could also be other factors. Found this thread from another Forum that talks about Dexcool sludge, using Phosphate based dishwashing detergent with the flush to get rid if it, and LIM gasket leaks.

DexCool Sludge; Cleaning | Cooling System Fluids & Additives | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Old 12-23-2015, 05:10 AM

check the sensor on the radiator...i change the one on my car and fix the problem. Also check the fuse to the fans. also turn out the fan went bad kept blowing the fuse and trigger the sensor.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:50 PM

My low coolant light kept coming on and I found where it was leaking from by running the engine for a few minutes and watching it as it ran. It was coming from a small elbow hose connected to the water pump. Went to O'Reilly's and one of the employees told me it happens often because their plastic. You can get aluminum ones for cheap and it's an easy fix. My 02 SS has been running smooth and blowing out HOT air since. Hope this might help others

Old 02-11-2016, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member

I think you mean the coolant elbows connected to the belt tensioner. Ya, that is a common one. Glad to hear you got good advice on replacing them with the aluminum ones, and it was the easier fix. Congratulations on a successful repair.