Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Loud rhythmic "clicking" left front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hurray! So glad to hear there's a few honest mechanics left in this world. The brake job does sound reasonable. The cost of new quality rotors is around $120 each, plus $20-30 for a pair of pads. I presume the quote is only for either front or rear. Sounds too cheap for both.

Glad you had the opportunity to experience our beautiful mountains, as a life long resident I know the areas well. I live about 25 miles outside of Seattle. We're in a heat wave now. Contrary to all the rain stories you hear about Seattle, we've had 8 weeks of 80-90 degree temperatures w/o a drop. Really comforting when I hear of all the storms in the Midwest and your region. Rain is welcome to return though, it's what makes Washington "The Evergreen State". We like our rain LOL.

Take care Donna, and congratulations on your mechanical experience.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:49 PM

plumbob, yes I heard about the hot weather. My relative (no spring chicken either!) has no air conditioning. I know that many places out there do not have it because it didn't used to be needed.

We had an extremely rainy June and into July over the holiday weekend. But not as bad here as in some other places.

The brakes and rotors quote was for the front wheels only.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes, that's correct about air conditioning. Almost all commercial buildings have A/C, but few homes other than Bill Gates or Paul Allen which are essentially commercial bldgs. If you ask me, there is something to this "Global Warming" thing. We've had unusually mild, dry winters and record breaking high summer temperatures for the past three years now. Watch for us on the news in coming months, I predict catastrophic wild fires up and down the west coast forests. I speak as a former U.S. Forest Service ranger.

As for the brakes, just be sure they are using quality parts. Ask for AC Delco (OEM). They may be more expensive, but you get what you pay for and will save you money in the long run because they will last 40% longer.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:45 PM

Thanks. Will do.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:21 AM

nice to hear you founda honest reputable car shop!! stick with them!!

Old 07-10-2015, 09:27 AM

I'm having a similar problem, although kind of opposite yours. My new-to-me '06 will make the metal-on-metal noise only when turning to the right, with the sound coming from the left front wheel. Turning left or going straight warrants no sound.

What perfect timing of you to share this experience because my shop of choice is also Monroe. A guy there bought a factory Saturn exhaust for cheap on the chance that I may one day need it. Love my local one here in Utica NY. I'll let you know if it's the same issue as yours.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 AM

Good news to update with; the clicking and / or metal-on-metal sound is bad brakes. The guy actually said he wasn't sure how they weren't pulsing because the center of the rotors are basically rotted out. It also needed a right tie rod but it looks like someone replaced the left one already. Otherwise the car is in great shape.