Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Lighting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Default Lighting Issues

Recently I have had Tail lamp lighting issues with my 01 SS, It randomly started on day after I started the car.

Problem 1: The tail lamps do not stay lit(during night time) the parking/turn signals/ brake lights DO work, however day/night time running function is not working.

Problem 2: Inside, the dash cluster/radio/heat settings also do not Light up, AT NIGHT, they will be FULLY lit to max setting during the day time, but when dusk approaches they dim to the point I cannot see the dash display and barely the info on the radio.

I've tried changing the BCM fuse, nothing changed. I figure It isn't a fuse problem then. Both issues started at the same time. I've been stopped in my hometown by police officers plenty of times (at night) because of this none of them have given me a ticket or brushed it off as not a problem. I personally thought I couldn't legally be given a ticket as long as the signal and brake lights worked. recently after traveling through a small farmtown at night a cop(DICK!) gave me a "fixit ticket" for my tail lamps. I find it to be bull but I want this resolved as soon as possible. I don't have much time to take it to a shop and leave it for a day. (because I need my baby!) So if anyone has suggestions or can tell me the exact problem it would be immensely helpful.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Do you have an aftermarket remote start in the vehicle? I had similar lighting problems, and that ended up being the culprit in my situation. If you don't have one, then I would say a the BCM needs to be replaced.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 PM

Yes I do, And I couldn't ever get that to work properly actually!

Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by seawolf18
Do you have an aftermarket remote start in the vehicle? I had similar lighting problems, and that ended up being the culprit in my situation. If you don't have one, then I would say a the BCM needs to be replaced.

How exactly did your remote starter affect your Dash/tail lights? and how did you go about fixing it? Some old guy in a doge caravan taxi Quite lterally chased me 5 blocks yelling out his window, "YER DAG-GUN TAIL LIGHTS 'R OUT!" Yea, time to get these fixed..

Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 PM

From what the dealership told me was, it was interfering with the BCM. It was repaired by removing the remote start from the car.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 AM

Hello Drifter, did you ever get your lights situation figgered out? It sounds like I have the same exact problem that you had. I shorted out a wire putting in my radio now I have no interior lights, no rear defog, odometer is fine in the day but goes super dim at night. AND I just found out from the local police dept that my taillights/license plate lights are out. Brake lights work fine. Any information you have about this i would really appreciate
David