Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Leaking Rear-View Mirrors on 6th gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just wanted to bring life back to this thread, for the 2nd year in a row a very hot summer day where my car sat out all day I got a ruined mirror.

Had I driven / noticed how hot it was in my car I would have cracked the windows, but I went out and my g/f drove and now I have a shot rear-view again.

It's a little hard to see in the photos, but when you are driving it is VERY prominent. Basically now when I look in my rearview mirror, it's kind of like looking at the old red-and-blue 3d where I see ghosted images. NO FUN!

Now I gotta wait to find a good deal on a mirror / wait for the colder weather before I buy one again... GRR

Remember it's just us with the old style mirror. You cars with On-Star have a different type of fluid and I don't hear anyone having problems with those. It's just for the auto-dimmers without on-star like I have in my '00 SS

Old 08-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

hey mike, i was just reading this, i have an 06LT, would this mirror be the kind i have in my car???

Old 08-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

mike, maby you could install a rearview out of a 5th gen? mine has the map lights on the bottem & it looks similar to the one on a 6th gen, except the map light button location. only thing is that the 5th gen has a manual toggle for night driving, which im sure drops the price tag quite a bit, and you never have to worry about getting a buble again!

its something i would look into, scince you dont have onstar it should wire up the same, they both mount to the windsheild... it would look like a factory peice!

chris, i think yours should have the auto dim mirror, idk about yours, but ive seen em in blazers, they have a button that says "auto" on em instead of the manual toggle on the bottem.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 AM

15 Year Member

Chris you are fine, they made the switch in like 03 when they added on-star to the mirrors.

Ryan, I know the manual wouldn't matter, but after you've had an electrochromatic mirror, you can't go back to the old ones :P

Bubbles or not, I'm gonna just find a replacement again :P

Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 AM

Strange question but what color is your tint? My truck has a greenish tint to it while the Monte is more of a black. Is this a difference in the fluid, IE: the newer "less volitile" substance or is it just a difference between two makes/years. The mirrors are different anyhow, truck has compass & thermometer in the upper right corner. Just wondering.

BTW: Never had any problems with the mirror on the GMC (Indigo with Charcoal leather) in SC, but I have vent visors on it. *knocks on wood*

Thanks for the heads up and warning! Good luck finding a replacement!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 AM

15 Year Member

I'm sure I'll find the replacement, I just need my next paycheck first before I start looking. Spent ~$1000 on mods this month... ugh bad timing car!

And It's the darker tint.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Chris you are fine, they made the switch in like 03 when they added on-star to the mirrors.
Are you sure there's a difference in the OnStar versus non mirrors? Cause I highly doubt GM would have wanted to pay the $$$$ to develop a similar technic for two different type mirrors.

They would have wanted to make as much $$$$ off one mirror as possible.

The only difference I can see is one mirrror has OnStar, one doesn't.

Looks like I better be finding a replacement mirror for the '03 Pace car.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:12 PM

15 Year Member

My parent's mirror in their 06 is definitely different in how it looks and dims. So I would say that it's a different fluid completely.

And when I drive my sister's 04 Impala SS, she has the on-star mirror, to me it doesn't look as dark as my mirror does.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:40 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Well I agree I too see a difference in the mirrors of the '03 Pace car and '06 LTZ.

I just don't see GM wanted to fork out the bills for developing two seperate mirrors for the OnStar and OnStar delete verions.

I did do a search on ebay for: "rear view mirrors onstar" on ebay and came up with 3 pages of results. They range anywhere from $19 - $140 with a wide spread of years they came from. So if you decide to try to buy one off ebay be careful about the year(s) you choose to purchase.

Why buy what you have right now?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by rj
Why buy what you have right now?
I know the wiring harness is the same. I'd rather have the stock mirror. 3rd times a charm?

When I do go to buy it, i'll just take a picture of my mirror and then send it to Eric at Morad and ask him if he has one lol.

Quick Reply: Leaking Rear-View Mirrors on 6th gen