Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Leaking Rear-View Mirrors on 6th gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Leaking Rear-View Mirrors on 6th gen

As we know (for some of us) Spring is here or just around the corner. (Let's not start with how much snow some people got today, just take the advice and live with it)

Now is the time everyone is wanting to take out the garage, clean up good, make the Monte shine like it wasn't dirty a month ago. But please heed this warning and it can save your Monte and you a lot of headaches.

This really only applies to the older 6th Gens with the electrochromatic rear view mirrors. You newer guys have a better mirror that isn't prone to this.

Please please please, crack your windows, park in the shade, keep that inside of the car COOL. The fluid that is in our mirrors, that allows them to dim automatically can and will expand and evaporate if under extreme heat. Sometimes these mirrors can explode or leak the fluid out onto your dashboard, seats, etc. completely ruining the leather. It does not come off easily AT ALL. When mine evaporated, it only hit a small part of my radio luckily, but my mirror would only dim in certain spots, and as I drove the liquid moved back and forth. After I saw the damage I removed the mirror until I got my replacement. Luckily I was able to get one cheap from a member parting his Monte, but if you aren't that lucky it's going to be around $150 for the mirror, and that's only if you haven't damaged anything from that liquid.

I currently have rainguards on my car, so I can crack my windows a little without any fear. Haven't had any problems since. But do what you can to keep that car and mirror cool, it is not a fun experience.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Hi `Mike,
Great Helpful post information for Members
You have a lot of mechanical knowledge.

When I first read your Thread Topic,
I thought it was going to be about `Spring Break

Thanks for all your post contributions to our forum.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So the 05s are safe? I might have to get a car cover when I leave it sit in the sun for a long time.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM

15 Year Member

I don't know what mirror is in the '05, let me take a look and see if I can come up with a picture of it.

*edit* It's the on-star mirrors, I don't know if they used the same company for the liquid in that mirror or not. But it's the same style of dimming, so my guess is that you can't be too careful

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 04-07-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:16 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nuts, I have OnStar on the 05 - I must take the proper precautious. Don't have to worry about the 03 because it doesn't have OnStar and it gets garaged. The only time it's outside is at car shows.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 PM

15 Year Member

I meant to say your 05 had on-star and I didn't know if they were the same liquid.

Mine was NOT the on-star mirror that exploded on me. I don't know if the on-star mirrors have the same problem or not, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM

I have no idea if they are the same mirrors, or if they use the same fluid, but if it helps I do have the On-Star mirror, and (due to living on a college campus) am forced to always park outside in the sun and the heat. I keep my windows shut for multiple reasons (rain, theft, etc.) and have yet to have my mirror damaged.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:48 PM

15 Year Member

My mirror lasted me 8 years. Just one day I got off the train, went to my car (it was around 90°F that day) and my mirror was screwed up.

Researched it, and found out the heat can do that to the electrochromatic fluid.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:51 PM

Well that sucks.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

definitely good info to know. it gets nasty hot inside my car, being black on black. but i have the rainguards too so when it starts to get sickeningly hot outside i'll be sure to crack the windows. thanks for the info!!!

Quick Reply: Leaking Rear-View Mirrors on 6th gen