Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

labor time on intermediate steering shaft...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Default labor time on intermediate steering shaft...

whats the avg time to replace the intermediate steering shaft?
im sick of the loose steering and annoying noise, i found the shaft for like 89$
and my dealer will make me a deal on the labor cost.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Default RE: labor time on intermediate steering shaft...

um y not ask ur dealer?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 AM

i got an intermediate steering shaft done done at the chevy dealer a couple months ago and it took only about an hour and a half. if you tell them you're gonna sit there and wait, you will take priority and they will get it out faster.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 AM

well im not going to a chevy dealer lol, done that and they took all day for the three days they looked at the car.
the place i bought my car gets me deals on labor n ****, like i had trans fluid changed for 40$.
gonnna prob go in monday or tues and talk to them about it, i know the owners and the shop guys got to know me a bit.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:10 AM

Well its not to bad to replace that shaft but the is a tsb outabout a clunking noise in the shaft. GM has a greasekit that takes care of the noise, you can do it your self there is a bolt on your steering rack and one at the bottm of your colum. You take it out follow the instrustions in the kit, and then put itback in. but be careful to not move your steering wheel cause its can cause the clock spring inside to break and cause awhiole bunch of otheissues. Good luck and happy wrenching!

Old 01-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Or just do this: http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...ic&t=10805

BTW, I was told they don't sell the lube kit anymore, maybe that's changed again too.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:36 PM

my dealer put some grease in it a few times, it helped a lil then went back to normal, he said he put so much in there it was running down it.
ive heard about that way to fix it but i doubt it will work.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 AM

well with the grease kit, which i bought like 2 weeks ago from gm, requires it to be taken out. there are also instructions in the kit that will tell you mesurments, that if not correct, will tell you if the shaft is bad. otherwise if they are just spraying grease down the shaft it will not work, because the viscosity of the spray grease is not thick enough. also i looked up that tsb again today and there is also a part in it that talksabout the positioning of the lower coupler to the input shaft to the steering rack. this needs to be checked as well, but if you were to take the shaft out and perform the lube, it would allow thecoupler and bolt to reinstalled in the proper position. also your issue may not be with the shaft. it could be strut mounts or some bushing. all of those things should be looked at. but again i cant stress enough about the grease kit being used and the measurments being taken to ensure that the shaft is not truly bad.hope this can be any help.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:08 PM

its the shaft, i know it.
thats even what gm said