Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

L36 intake manifold replace wiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Default L36 intake manifold replace wiring problems

I am new to the forums but have been a proud owner of a 2000 Monte Carlo SS 3800 series II for 7 years now. Well just recently I ran into the dreaded intake manifold leak. Having an ok deal of knowledge of the engine, I took it apart and put it all back together just fine.....EXCEPT.... I began plugging all of the sensors and wires back into place and I am left with an extra plug that I cannot figure out where it goes??? Its the very last plug in the strand that contains the 3 fuel injector plugs and the alternator that runs along the rear (left side) of the engine. It is female, blue connector, 2 holes. I took pics of the engine before so that I could compare and make sure did it correctly BUT of course this one wire is not shown. So if anyone with the same engine can check their engine and maybe provide a lil assistance it would be much appreciated!!

I have pics of the plug, if you can help I will email them. THANKS, rick.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 AM

Hi Rick,
Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum Family.
Sorry 2 read about your problem, and please check back
on your thread question, & I'm sure that once one of our
expert tech member's reads, they will post their
solutions/opinions/fix

Be Patience, not all our tech's are online all the time.
Wish you Good Luck on fixing your prob.
Look 4ward 2 your future posts.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 AM

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pi...pictureid=1295

here is URL to the pic... like i said im still new so trying to figure out how to do everything...next time this will be in the original post...sorry.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Hope and Member's see's/knows the answer...4sure

Old 06-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Rick, can you post a pic of the entire engine bay area, and point in the direction of where the wire came from???

If you give me the general location of the plug, I'll go searching under the hood of my moms 2000 Bonneville 3800 series II and see if I can locate it for you....

We had the dreaded intake gasket leak too in the Bonnie...

Old 06-04-2009, 04:21 PM

Michael, you are a LIFESAVER.... Here is a pic of the engine and I circled in white the area where this wire is missing from. There are 2 plugs following the 3 injector plugs. One has like 4 prongs and goes to the alternator and the other is this mystery plug. I have this feeling it goes to maybe a wire that may have fallen behind the engine somewhere, but that is only my suspicion, I dont know for sure. Thanks again!

Gotta love that intake leak. It actually wasnt that bad to replace but this stupid problem is really getting me. I should have paid a little closer attention thats all.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:31 PM

10 Year Member

Awesome, thats what I needed....I get off work at 6 west coast time, so i'll be home around 7ish, and i'll check it out for you as soon as I get home....and let you know if I come across anything.

I hope for your sake I can find something!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:32 PM

10 Year Member

What is that big metal thing on the front valve cover on the left side, just to the right of the ignition coils??? I know the Bonnie doesnt have that...not that it matters for your wire, i'm just curious.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:43 PM

GREAT thanks again Michael. That big hunk of metal is the bracket that holds the front torque strut mount (dog bone). How is the set up on the Bonne?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:57 PM

10 Year Member

Oh....All of the Bonnie's engine mounts come up from under the car...weird how they made it different.

Hey, I just checked out your profile and looked at the pics...
Holy crap 210,000 miles...i guess you can't really complain about your intake gasket. Our went at 97K and now we only have 134K on the Bonnie.

Are you on the original engine and trans?

What kind of oil are you using, and how often do you change it? Just curious, because I've looked inside the Bonnie's front valve cover with a flash light, and it is spotless...you can still see the shiny metal on the vavlve springs etc...I always change it every 7500 Miles with either Mobil 1, or occasionally Amsoil...Like I said, i'm just curious...

My 89 Chevy Silverado with 230K on origianl everything had been on conventional oil at 5K changes up until 210K when I started using synthetic in it as well...and the inside of its valve cover looks similar to your Monte's...

Quick Reply: L36 intake manifold replace wiring problems