Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Knock Sensor Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Knock Sensor Questions

Hey everyone, Just thought I'd run this by any of the Guru's here on the forum. I rebuilt the 3800 on my SS a couple of months ago and in the process had removed all sensors and clips off the block to strip the old paint down and repaint. I removed both knock sensors as well and used compressed air to blow out any dirt/debris that resided in the knock sensor bungs. As I did this a small piece of rusted metal broke off inside the sensor seat exposing a a small hole. Now to my understanding that exposed a water jacket inside the block. I didn't think anything of the hole and continued assembling the engine and put the engine back together. I have been driving the car for over a month now without any CEL and/or problems. I did however get a CEL two days ago with a P0327 knock sensor bank 1 sensor low circuit code. This was the same sensor where the hole was. Today I checked the harness for the sensor and did not notice it to be frayed or damaged. I knew for sure it was the sensor giving me a low signal and even checked it with my multimeter under ac volts and it seemed to give a low voltage reading and gradually increased when I tapped on it lightly. I did not back probe the sensor to check for voltage drop and instead went out to purchase a new sensor. After removing the old one anti-freeze rained all over me from that exposed hole. My question to you guys is did the anti-freeze damage the sensor or cause an erroneous reading to trigger the CEL to come on? and the second question would be is it normal for antifreeze to drain out from replacing this sensor? Anyone whos done this repair or anyone who knows about these issues please chime in if you can. I would appreciate any advice or info given. I did install a new delco one cleared the code and took it for a long road test, shut the engine off, started it again and continued driving without any CEL's triggered. Cheers everyone!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds normal to me for coolant to drain from the knock sensor... I think your just fine

Old 10-30-2013, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Turbo Monte.. Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate it.. I did a quick google search on it and found out that both sensors can be removed to drain out the block from the remaining antifreeze. I found it quit interesting, but a little surprised. You'd be surprised how much power I gained from replacing that sensor as the old sensor retarded the timing. I just breath on the throttle and its @ 3500 rpm. Pretty amazing. I installed the GT2 cam in it with the ZZP ported heads and a 3000 stall converter with a bunch of other supporting mods. I was wondering if you've had any idle issues with your monte, considering yours sounds lumpy like mine. @ idle its about 800-900 rpm and then drops down to 600 and back up to 800-900, as thats happening I notice the voltage drop as well so I'm thinking it's related to the IAC valve. No vaccum leaks/CEL and the engine had a slight ping to it even with 94 octane fuel. Any advice/help would greatly be appreciated. I do wish I had my hands on a scanner to monitor KR/Fuel Trim's/Injector PWM but unfortunately that is a luxury @ this point in time and I'm putting the Monte away for the winter. Until next year that is when I plan on doing a Turbo setup with a bunch of Trans mods. Thanks again my friend!