Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Key will not turn in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Unhappy Key will not turn in ignition

Hey All! When i bought my 02' MC the key was already worn down, I used to be able to get it to start by wiggling the key, flipping it over, etc. For the past week i have not been able to get it to turn at ALL!!! i tried for 30 minutes the other day and.. nothing!! Please help any suggestions will be welcomed! THANKS!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello Amanda:
Welcome to the forum. Were here to help...

It absolutely sounds like the ignition/key has finally worn out...

Not sure what your abilitys are...
I would recommend getting the ignition changed out along with a new key... (Should come together) If this sounds like something you can do your self... Good.. There are videos on youtube that will show you how to do it..
If not,
Maybe you have a friend or Mechanic that you can count on to do this for you.. If you lived in Michigan near the Detroit area I could definitely recommend someone...

Please keep us informed of your progress and what it took for you to get it fixed.
Please be sure to fill out your profile and post some pics of your Monte when your able to...
Be sure to check out the Members Daily Blog..
Stop in and say hi or see what other members are up to each day.

Thanks for joining the MCF Family!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it's the key that is worn, you can go to the GM dealer and have them cut a new key (not a copy, it would be cut based off the VIN of your car). If it's the lock cylinder, that can be replaced pretty easily as well (and I would advise getting it re-keyed to match your original key).

Hopefully it's just an old/worn key and not the cylinder.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Default thanks!

i appreciate the prompt responses and i will contact my local GM dealer and try to just get a copy of the key that way i will have the same key for doors/trunk etc... and i will surely complete my profile and include pics of my baby and keep yall updated with what solution i am going to go with!
I live in southern Louisiana !!
once again thank yall

Old 04-15-2014, 04:23 PM

okay so went and got a new key based on my VIN which cost 50 bucks and it didnt work so i guess its on to replacing the cylinder ! i am pretty car savvy and can figure out mechanical things pretty easily... how hard do you think itd be bc all the cylinders i am seeing cost 100+ so i wont have money to pay someone else to fix it! also how hard will it be to rekey the new cylinder to my stock keys !

thanks again!!

Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you can get the lock cylinder to turn at all, replacing it is easy. There is a tab under the housing, you turn the key, press the tab in and slide the entire housing out with the key.

Slide the new one in. After that, a simple relearn process (same steps as a PCM relearn that I believe is posted here on MCF.com).

No special tools required.

Now getting to the tab, I think you can get to it by removing the dash cover and removing the radio. Or you MIGHT be able to reach the tab from the underside of the drivers side dash.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:45 PM

What if i cannot get the key to turn AT ALL?