Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Key will not turn in Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Gib
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Key will not turn in Ignition

Please Please Please
serious responses only. Someone with more information might see your # in the reply column and skip this thread.

I took my steering column apart to change the turn signal and wore down the battery. Now that I am putting it back together the key will not turn. I have: diconnected the battery, charged the battery, connected it to a running car, reset, the alarm using the key fob, triggered it and reset it. Turning the steering wheel and pressuring gear shift doesn't help. I tried my other key also and repeated the above steps over and over. I live far from a dealership and to tow the car there will be very expensive. I understand that it has to go there if I replace the ign sw. Am I missing something???

I do not have internet at home and have to go to my volunteer firehouse to get replys. If you text me I will call you back. otherwise I will check back in the morning. Eric (718)344-8628 Thanks in advance!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 PM

Sorry to hear about your situation. I can only offer this info. I would try to spray some electrical cleaner (this will not leave residue like WD-40) in the ignition key cylinder. Was the key hard to turn before?

Quote: I understand that it has to go there if I replace the ign sw.

The ignition switch is a separate piece, it is fairly cheap and easy to replace and does not have to go to the dealer to do. But... I assume your talking about the ignition cylinder which fits into the ignition switch. You can also replace this yourself but you will have have the cylinder set to your original key, or, you can buy the cylinder with keys and do the security relearn process. Just do a search on that phrase and you will probably find it on this forum. The downside to this is the new keys won't match the rest of your locks of course.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I will print this up and take this to my mechanic on Wednesday. I will get back to you on what he says. Matt is very very good with our cars and I bet he can give you a solution.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Gib

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...600a-18207.jpg

I split the tumbler away from the switch and it still doesn't turn with any key. The tumbler has 3 wires connected to it. I believe they give a specific resistance to the pcm? A while ago I read about tricking the pcm with resistors but I still need to get my resistance value from that tumbler.

I think my options are to;
cut the wires and take the tumbler to a locksmith,
have them come out do a $ervice call,
get a new tumbler and trick the pcm with resistors.

I am open to other suggestions.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Gib
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...600a-18207.jpg

I split the tumbler away from the switch and it still doesn't turn with any key. The tumbler has 3 wires connected to it. I believe they give a specific resistance to the pcm? A while ago I read about tricking the pcm with resistors but I still need to get my resistance value from that tumbler.

I think my options are to;
cut the wires and take the tumbler to a locksmith,
have them come out do a $ervice call,
get a new tumbler and trick the pcm with resistors.

I am open to other suggestions.
Don't do anything that drastic till I get back with you tomorrow. I will print this up and take to Matt my mechanic. I have your phone number I can text you his suggestions okay Eric. Stand by, no slicing and dicing yet my friend

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 04-23-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Gib

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...part-18214.jpg

I found a pic of a tumbler on rock auto. I didn't see where the wires "plugged in"! If I replace the tumbler I expect that the new tumbler will have a different resistance. Will the passlock relearn and accept this new part? I wasn't expecting it to be that easy.

I should probably buy the one with new keys. I am ok with having two keys for the car.

Last edited by Gib; 04-23-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

When you replace the ignition switch, it has the two wires attached and yes it will give a different resistance, you just need a new key from the GM dealer (or bypass it and use the new key with no resister that should come with the new ign switch)

Old 04-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Gib

Today I had a few minutes to tinker with it and on the second try I got the connector and wires removed from the lock cylinder plastic housing. I've never seen a plug like this it came out like a foot from a shoe. It seems like it bends the terminal contacts as it goes in and out.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gib
Today I had a few minutes to tinker with it and on the second try I got the connector and wires removed from the lock cylinder plastic housing. I've never seen a plug like this it came out like a foot from a shoe. It seems like it bends the terminal contacts as it goes in and out.

The housing is actually the ignition switch, I remember that I didn't have to force or bend anything for that connection when I replaced mine (keeping original key cylinder). Are you sure your key has a resistor in it? My 2001 did not, I have a working key that is just a cheap hardware store blank.

There is a security relearn procedure if you replace the ignition key cylinder that takes roughly 30 minutes. It is probably listed on this forum somewhere, if not, just google gm security relearn

Also, forgot to add, I did not have to do a relearn when I replaced just the ignition switch. Car fired up on first try.

Last edited by jim1405; 04-25-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Gib

FYI I got the car fixed. I learned that I got lucky removing the three wire plug from the tumbler when the tumbler was installed in the plastic housing. You are supposed to turn the key and then depress a tab on the side of the tumbler to remove it from the plastic housing. I took pictures that I will upload later. Because my key would not turn I could not do that. I took the housing and tumbler to a locksmith and they were able to "drill it out". the replacement part was fairly priced at $120 and $40 to "drill it out". They said I probably would have messed up the plastic if I tried to butcher it out myself? Included in the $40 was fitting the new lock to my existing key. At leaste I saved a tow fee or housecall. I'm glad the three wire connector was not spliced or broken.

Quick Reply: Key will not turn in Ignition