Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Just bought this and plan to restore.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 03:59 PM
1 Year Member
Default Leaks, etc.

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I second the "no cheap MAFs" thing. Ive gone thru a few myself and honestly I think theres more DOA than good. MAFs in these cars seem to like to go bad and they can cause some strange issues.

Check the coolant elbows for the leak. Might get "lucky" and find one there.
Thanks for the tip. I don't have a pressure tester, so will have to take it to a garage and let them smoke it over.

I have a question about tire pressure. This car has a warning for low tire pressure, but I will be damned if I can find any place that lists sensors for these cars. I assume they have them or they wouldn't have a warning light on the dash. Obviously it's not like the new Chevys, or doesn't seem like it is. When I try to find sensors, they want to sell me a complete package with monitor. What's the story here?

Put new coil packs on and it really helped, along with the MAS. Now I have just two error codes, something about the bank needing heat, and the old P0300.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by GrayGhost1951
I have a question about tire pressure. This car has a warning for low tire pressure, but I will be damned if I can find any place that lists sensors for these cars. I assume they have them or they wouldn't have a warning light on the dash. Obviously it's not like the new Chevys, or doesn't seem like it is. When I try to find sensors, they want to sell me a complete package with monitor. What's the story here
The car probably has an indirect tire pressure system. No sensors in the wheels, but measures wheel speed, etc to figure out if one is low.

Have you tried resetting it? If so and it came back, do you have one tire thats a different size or is more or less worn than the others?

Old 10-20-2020, 07:05 PM
1 Year Member
Default I was able to reset

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
The car probably has an indirect tire pressure system. No sensors in the wheels, but measures wheel speed, etc to figure out if one is low.

Have you tried resetting it? If so and it came back, do you have one tire thats a different size or is more or less worn than the others?

But then it turns out I do have a slow leak in the LF tire, and it did not come back on. It would sure be nice if there was an upgrade to the dash with all 4 wheels with pressure. I have 3 other cars with that. Sure miss it. I aslo found online sensors for 2005-07 MC for about 90 bucks. So I wonder if the 2005s did have some sort of low pressure reading device tied to the dash.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by GrayGhost1951
I have 3 other cars with that. Sure miss it.
TBH even the indirect system isn't that bad if that's what you've got. May not get a fancy readout, but at least it gives you a heads up if something is wrong. Certainly a big step up from the old cars with nothing at all.

Good to hear you found the issue at least. Once you get that bum tire fixed, you shouldn't have to worry about that light again until you get a real issue.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-20-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:49 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I second the "no cheap MAFs" thing. Ive gone thru a few myself and honestly I think theres more DOA than good. MAFs in these cars seem to like to go bad and they can cause some strange issues.

Check the coolant elbows for the leak. Might get "lucky" and find one there.
I bought some metal elbows but haven't installed them yet. So far the temp is dead on 180 with no problems. I passed emissions the other day (finally) even though I had an EVAP code on and had to clear it. My Impala used to do the same thing in cold weather. So now that the topside is under control, at least the engine, cooling and tranny, it's time to dive down and get some suspension work done. I need an answer for this problem. I have the TPMS on my car, the only one that had it that year. There are two wheel bearing assemblies, one with a fixed plug in for ABS, and another with a wire lead for ABS. Why the difference? Which one do I need? Are they actually the same?

Loose lead

Snapped in lead