Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Front part of dash 04 Monte...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Default Front part of dash 04 Monte...

Has anyone had any problems with the front section of the dash warping in the sun? The part that warps is the part with the defrost vents in it. I have had this part along with the entire dash replaced twice already...the last time it was warped before I drove it off the lot. The interior is black, which I am sure would be the worst color for this, but I have friends who's dashes are not warping. I do have to leave my car sitting out all day and night, but I think the dash should hold up longer than this. This problem started only about 3 months after I purchased the car.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, and if so how did you get it fixed?

Thanks,

Old 05-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Default RE: Front part of dash 04 Monte...

Welcome to the forum Nitro!!

I've had my '03 for almost two years and have not had a problem. What part of the US are you?

TVW

Old 05-24-2005, 12:36 PM

i have had my 03 for two years and never had a problem with this and it lived out side in ALabama

but i did use a sun shade in the front window to deflect some of the sun and the heat they are worth the 20.00

Old 05-24-2005, 01:34 PM

I am in Central IL. Temps around here have been approaching 80, but it usually starts happening as soon as the weather gets over 60 and sunny. I will try to get some pictures of it, so that you all can see exactly what I am talking about.

The sun shade will probably help, but I would like to get it resolved long enough to purchase one The last time it was fixed it was already starting to warp before I got to pick it up. The guys at the service department have really been trying but just seem to replace the same part over and over. Seems like maybe I need to find an 03 dash to stick in my 04 car?? I wonder if they changed the material or adjusted the size slightly on the 04's that is causing this. I hate to have such a great looking car with such a awful looking dash.

I don't suppose I could get the lemon law to kick in on something this small...would love to have a brand new Monte again

BTW: This is a great forum...I have been lurking around here for a little while, and have found some very useful information.

Thanks,

Old 05-24-2005, 03:53 PM

Wow, sounds like a fitment issue to me.

It looks like they have taken ownership of the problem by replacing the parts in question. If your not happy and it's the same problem I would request a replacement vehicle. GM has been very good on making sure I have been happy with the problems I have had with mine. Just make sure you document your visits to the dealership.

I live in Houston and have seen 1 1/2 summers with no warpage. At least I don't think I have seen anything. Post those pics when you get a chance, I wanna see what your talking about.

TVW

Old 05-24-2005, 04:05 PM

i have seen that many with mine in AL. i didnt use the sun shade all of the time but i did always keep a windo cracked i have the vent shades on mine also and the windows tinted, but ts is the first i have heard of this.

have to ask is it warping up or down?
it might be a fitment problem like it might be just a bit to big for the area.

also im with tav. on this tey own it now they have replaced it this many times i would be telling them i want a new one LOL

or at worse case if you know a body shop ask them if they could fram jig the car to find out if the body is warped some how . it might be something like that dont know i highly doubt it but hell anything is possabel in this day and age. might be someone welded the a pillers n crooked who knows

cant think of a whole lot up there that would cause this to happen.

i would also get in to the local area and see if you can find some more 04 montes in your area that might have this same problem and even better the same colors in side and out .
or as close to your situation as you can find.
Good luck

Old 05-24-2005, 09:36 PM

It is warping up. It allow me to see between the two parts. Looking from the outside, it is a little harder to see, but driving...it just stares me in the face. The following pics were taken today (these are not the greatest pictures, as it was overcast when I took them ). Before this last replacement, it was almost a "washboard" across the middle 3/4 of the dash. I talked to the dealer, and they are going to call the Chevy Tech to ask what can be done. I may suggest that they take it to a body shop for straightness.

I think I will drive around looking for other blue/black cars to see if they are doing the same thing.

Any guesses on why now that I have the pictures up?

[IMG]local://upfiles/302/D1E5E92A00E840A086C2670CFBF1FAEC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/302/9F387A8DF8C144EE8A2304488A2F8AA4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-24-2005, 10:35 PM

You have a serious issue. I just went out and looked at mine and it looks nothing like that.

I've pulled my dash apart a couple of times and can't see how yours would turn out the way it is unless there are some braces/beams that are off. I don't think it's the pad/cover itself.

TVW

Old 05-24-2005, 11:24 PM

That is not really what I wanted to hear [:@] Yeah, the pad/cover was replaced the first time in. I guess there will now be "words" at the dealership [sm=smiley15.gif] I went out to a different dealership tonight to look at any Monte they had on the lot...none of them were coming up like that.

Sounds more and more like one of the braces/beams are off. I am going to have to make the dealership measure everything to make sure it is all correct.

How hard is it to take the dash pad/cover and that part that is warped off? Maybe I could take it off one weekend and see if I can see a problem?

Thanks for all the help I will keep you updated on what we find out...maybe I will be bringing home an 05 OR wonder if they would put a supercharger on it...I could probably overlook the dash if I could look at the boost gauge [sm=gears.gif]

Old 05-25-2005, 02:14 AM

damn man, that looks horrible. I hope mine doesn't do that. I think I am gonna get a dash cover made for it though, cause it's a new car and I want to keep it in excellent shape. Plus, I get a glare off the dash that bother's me at times. It sure would be nice if they made leather/vinyl dash covers. Perforated leather to match the seats would be super sweet!

Quick Reply: Front part of dash 04 Monte...