Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

jerking and stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 PM

How about Coil Packs?? I had a bad coil pack 65 000kms.. car ran fine once i it 3500-4500RPM car would leap frog haha and the rpm gage jump... Should try testing coil packs:s then again 3.4 :S

Old 08-01-2010, 07:39 PM

I am about to try that route tomorrow, I'll reply again on the thread tomorrow if it works. If not, next stop is to get the cat tested I suppose.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 AM

Well if you didnt dig this one up...
Anyway, I got a question if anyone still looks at this. Yesterday I accidently hit the gear lever into N and didnt realize it at a red light. So I went to accelerate and it reved up to about 2K maybe? I didnt thing and instantly put it into D while it was still at about 1500 rpm and it started stuttering and jerking as mentioned, would that be normal for our cars? Is it some kind of safty feature so you cant blow the seal on the trans or somthign. It did rev up to about 2K again before it actually went into D all the way so I didnt let off the gas all the way when this happend. Am I safe?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:20 PM

did it then start driving normal after that?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You Neutral dropped your car??? lol

FAIL.

You should be fine, did you key off and key back on and had no lights or anything?? Started driving fine?? It WILL slam into gear when you do that, just try not to make a habit of it haha

Old 08-02-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by HPNOTIQracing
did it then start driving normal after that?
Yeah, It just did the studdering this for a few seconds
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You Neutral dropped your car??? lol

FAIL.

You should be fine, did you key off and key back on and had no lights or anything?? Started driving fine?? It WILL slam into gear when you do that, just try not to make a habit of it haha
I didnt drop it.. Come on now. I tried to explain that exact thing, it didnt even jerk or nothing, just reved up a little and dropped back down to idle it just wasnt all the way to idle when it went into D. I did the same exact thing as almost everyone does when they are going from reverse to drive. LOL Id like to keep this trans for a while, just a little bout of forgetfullness or maybe I was in a hurry cause there was a line of cars behind me and didnt wanna hold people up and didnt think it through. IDK Its all good. Do you think that could be a sign of anything though? I mean this has had to happen to somone else on here before. It seems like it would have jerked a little at least instead of sputtering out like that.
But it seems like if I DID drop it into D from like a higher rev, it wouldnt grap right away, it seems like it would wanna sputter instead of catching gear from N??
IDK, Im tring to give a detailed explaination of what happend but it seems like Im just repeating the same thing over and over.. Same thing over and over.. Same thing over and over.. Same thing over and over LOL?
But do you understand what I said this time better??
>>How about this> Say you were in a stick shift and you accidentally had it in 4th when you tried to launch, it wouldnt run smooth, it would sputter for a while till it got to a smooth running speed, as opposed to popping the clutch at 4K and grabbing 1st real good, thats what I would comare the feeling to.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by robc
hello monte carlo fans,my name is robbie,and i have a 2003 monte carlo,and when driving along,between 45-50 mph,1400-2000 rpms,the car jerks and stutters like,the tach moves with this action,up and down,has any one encountered this problem or solved it?

I had the exact same problem as you and it turned out to be my MAF sensor, replaced it and the problem hasn't been back since

Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Yeah, It just did the studdering this for a few seconds

I didnt drop it.. Come on now. I tried to explain that exact thing, it didnt even jerk or nothing, just reved up a little and dropped back down to idle it just wasnt all the way to idle when it went into D. I did the same exact thing as almost everyone does when they are going from reverse to drive. LOL Id like to keep this trans for a while, just a little bout of forgetfullness or maybe I was in a hurry cause there was a line of cars behind me and didnt wanna hold people up and didnt think it through. IDK Its all good. Do you think that could be a sign of anything though? I mean this has had to happen to somone else on here before. It seems like it would have jerked a little at least instead of sputtering out like that.
But it seems like if I DID drop it into D from like a higher rev, it wouldnt grap right away, it seems like it would wanna sputter instead of catching gear from N??
IDK, Im tring to give a detailed explaination of what happend but it seems like Im just repeating the same thing over and over.. Same thing over and over.. Same thing over and over.. Same thing over and over LOL?
But do you understand what I said this time better??
>>How about this> Say you were in a stick shift and you accidentally had it in 4th when you tried to launch, it wouldnt run smooth, it would sputter for a while till it got to a smooth running speed, as opposed to popping the clutch at 4K and grabbing 1st real good, thats what I would comare the feeling to.
launching a car in 4th wouldnt do much but give you a burnt clutch smell and it would probly lurch forward alittle then rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr for about 45 seconds to get it up to proper speed for 4th

Old 08-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Well, I cleaned the air filter and I might have used a little too much oil, could that be it?? It hasnt dont it since though?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

if you use too much oil on the filter, you risk ruining your MAF sensor, so keep an eye on that.

Quick Reply: jerking and stuttering