Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Instrument Cluster light burned out

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Instrument Cluster light burned out

I have a burned light in my 2003 Monte Carlo LS 3.4 instrument cluster (fuel gauge). I had it all disassembled and could not figure out how to access the light bulbs on the circuit board. I assume the gauge indicators have to be taken off somehow, but didn't want to risk damage. Can anyone help, in the disassembly and where to fine new bulbs?

Thanks in advance!

Steen

Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM

dont quote me on this as i havent taken apart the monte cluster yet.
but there should be a white or black plastic piece that is on the back that can pop off using a screw driver correct? usually black or white anyways

this should reveal the back of the circuit board. you will see your potentiometers for your dial and there should be little rectangle plastic pieces that extend from the circuit board.. they should twist and pop out

**scratch that** gm made the impala and monte carlo ones "non serviceable" because they are soldered in. if you know how to solder or know somebody who can solder it may be able to be fixed by soldering a new bulb or led into its original place. sorry

Old 09-05-2010, 08:49 PM

check out bbengineer.com. he can do differerent colors and the led will last a long time. he also will do the temp. control unit to match. you will have to send your cluster to him and turnaround time was 1 week when I did mine. bbengineer is a member here at mcf.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
monte dash.jpg (11.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg
monte temp control.jpg (7.6 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by jeff2425; 09-05-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Steen
I have a burned light in my 2003 Monte Carlo LS 3.4 instrument cluster (fuel gauge). I had it all disassembled and could not figure out how to access the light bulbs on the circuit board. I assume the gauge indicators have to be taken off somehow, but didn't want to risk damage. Can anyone help, in the disassembly and where to fine new bulbs?

Thanks in advance!

Steen
Go to RadioShack, get some 12V bulbs (I think these will work just fine http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104023), a soldering iron and desoldering tool. I just replaced 3 burned out bulbs in my AC control head last weekend (although I used GM bulbs from a donor control head) and spent less than 30 minutes for the whole process. IF you know how to solder it's a piece of cake. If you don't know how to solder, do some practicing first. The biggest thing to remember is to give the soldering iron time to heat up, and only apply the heat for a few seconds, then suck up the melted solder with the desoldering tool. When soldering in the replacement bulbs, "tin" the soldering tip by melting a little bit of solder on it and the leads of the bulbs. Then hold the leads of the bulb in place on the board and add heat for just a few seconds. It doesn't take much to melt the solder either when removing the old bulb or adding the new one. If you apply the heat for too long you'll damage the board. I have a spare cluster in the garage, if you need I can see if I can mark where the bulbs are located and include a pic.