Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Impossible Headlight Issue !! Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

More food for thought in troubleshooting the DRL circuit. Here are two videos, parts 1&2 where the problem was a diode noted in the end of part 1 and beginning of part 2.

Part 1:

Part2:

Last edited by plumbob; 02-28-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
More food for thought in troubleshooting the DRL circuit. Here are two videos, parts 1&2 where the problem was a diode noted in the end of part 1 and beginning of part 2.

Part 1:Daytime running light circuit troubleshooting (DRL circuit) - YouTube

Part2: Part-2 Daytime running light circuit troubleshooting (DRL circuit) - YouTube
Ooo. Very helpful. now I shall try and find this diode on the Monte. Wouldn't happen to know where it's located ? 😬

Old 02-28-2016, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member

Not off the top of my head. Give me some time to look in the factory service manual. Maybe another member can chime in here that knows?

Old 03-01-2016, 06:20 PM

Not off the top of my head. Give me some time to look in the factory service manual. Maybe another member can chime in here that knows?
Any luck on finding that diode by chance ? I've watched those videos. And I might try and pick up a test light to give it a shot. Move also looked for the diode. But no luck. Doesn't seem to be anything under there resembling the one in the video.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member

Okay, so here's what I found; good news and bad news.
First the bad news: I searched the factory manual in schematics, component locator views, and the index and could not find anything like it. Apparently our cars don't have one. Sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase.
Now for the good news: I found a lot of information on the headlight circuit description, how it works in conjunction with the BCM and a troubleshooting guide. See attached pages from the factory service manual.

Now I have to ask, have you had the car scanned for codes? Most lighting system component failures will trigger a DTC that starts with a B.

Hope this helps, Curt

*The attachments were too large to all fit in one post. See next for circuit desriptions.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
headlamp troubleshooting.jpg (3.52 MB, 2 views)
Old 03-01-2016, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member

Headlight / DRL circuit description:

Attached Images
Old 03-02-2016, 08:19 PM

Headlight / DRL circuit description:
I have not taken it to a shop to have it scanned. But the check engine light is off. And I have my own scanner for that. Idk if when they scan it. They could maybe pick something else up. And I would love to give those steps a shot. But I don't have the tools required. And honestly not even sure what exactly I'd need.

Last edited by Alex S; 03-02-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member

Any scanner should read a DTC if present, Autozone will do it for free. If there is a code it may tell you what component needs to replaced. Beyond that, it might be best to have a auto-electric shop check it out.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:13 AM

Any scanner should read a DTC if present, Autozone will do it for free. If there is a code it may tell you what component needs to replaced. Beyond that, it might be best to have a auto-electric shop check it out.
Ahh. I will try there first I guess. If not i will try and find somewhere to get it checked. All I would need is for them to tell me what part is for sure broken. I have no problem hunting it down. Im just sick of replacing things that aren't broken in the first place ! Haha

Old 03-03-2016, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member

Sounds like a plan. Good luck.