Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Impossible Headlight Issue !! Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:00 PM
Default Impossible Headlight Issue !! Help

So I've been at this issue for what seems like forever. Looking on different sites and trying things but nothing has worked. I had an account on here awhile ago but forgot the username and password. Anyways. I have a 2005 Monte carlo LS. Here's what im dealing with.

The problem: My auto-headlights only work during the daytime, only when im in drive. Shut off at night. They do not turn on if I pull the switch into either of the three settings. So I have been using my brights at night (with my headlight covers so they aren't blinding) well. Now my brights do not stay on even when clicked into the "on" position. So im stuck holding them on while i drive at night.

What I've tried: I first thought the sensor for day/night was bad. Replaced this twice. No fix. Then. Replaced the switch for the auto headlights/dome light. No fix. I then replaced my turn signal switch that triggers the brights. No fix. I have checked the grounds to the headlights. Thought they were a little gummed up. Clean it for good contact. Still. Nothing.

I don't know what to do anymore and I feel like I've run out of options. Please. If anybody has a solution. Share it with me. Or anything else I can try ! Thanks. Alex.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:08 PM

Hi `Alex, sorry to read about your problem I feel the total frustration in your posted words. I'm also sorry that I don't have the knowledge to help on this issue & I hope one of our member's might be able to help.

I would keep checking back on your thread to see if a member may have had this problem (?), or knows how to trouble shoot it and give you advice...

Wish you Good Luck & working lights...(My guess is that it could be a bad light switch ) Has there every been any replacement or added lights to your Monte ? Is could also be a break or crack in one of the wire's ? I just don't know >Good Luck<

Old 02-25-2016, 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=BeachBumMike;682862]Hi `Alex, sorry to read about your problem I feel the total frustration in your posted words. I'm also sorry that I don't have the knowledge to help on this issue & I hope one of our member's might be able to help.

I would keep checking back on your thread to see if a member may have had this problem (?), or knows how to trouble shoot it and give you advice...

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4]Wish you Good Luck & working lights...(My guess is that it could be a bad light switch ) Has there every been any replacement or added lights to your Monte ? Is could also be a break or crack in one of the wire's ? I just don't know >Good Luck
Thank you ! And hopefully I can figure it out soon. Haha. It's so unsafe.

Last edited by Alex S; 02-25-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Alex, the problem you're describing is usually caused by a bad ground wire or multi-function switch. Check for corroded ground connections to the body. Here's a link to an old thread on a similar problem. It's easier for you to review and compare notes than reiterate all that is said within the thread.

Link: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/in...t-issue-20036/

Here's some schematics:

The schematics are for a 2000 MC SS, but they should be about the same as your '05 LS.

Please follow up with your progress.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Headlights Control.jpg (1.90 MB, 13 views)

Last edited by plumbob; 02-25-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not 100% sure but i believe there is atleast a relay or 2 for the light system. Check the fuse panels and see.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
I'm not 100% sure but i believe there is atleast a relay or 2 for the light system. Check the fuse panels and see.
Now I believe i unbolted this and got confused because all it was, was prongs going into the fuse panel. I ca always try replacing this and see I guess.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
Hi Alex, the problem you're describing is usually caused by a bad ground wire or multi-function switch. Check for corroded ground connections to the body. Here's a link to an old thread on a similar problem. It's easier for you to review and compare notes than reiterate all that is said within the thread.

Link: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/in...t-issue-20036/

Here's some schematics:

The schematics are for a 2000 MC SS, but they should be about the same as your '05 LS.

Please follow up with your progress.
Now I believe I've tried everything on that post. Haha. But i may try just wiring the positive headlight wires to a fuse in the fuse box that comes on with the car. And off when the cars off. So my lights would be on all the time while the cars on. Which isn't the right way. But at this point. Im not sure if I care if it's the right way 😅 and not gunna lie. I have no clue how to go about reading those schematics. Im a construction schematic guy. Not so much electrical.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Alex S
Now I believe I've tried everything on that post. Haha. But i may try just wiring the positive headlight wires to a fuse in the fuse box that comes on with the car. And off when the cars off. So my lights would be on all the time while the cars on. Which isn't the right way. But at this point. Im not sure if I care if it's the right way 😅 and not gunna lie. I have no clue how to go about reading those schematics. Im a construction schematic guy. Not so much electrical.
Sometimes you just need to take it to the shop and let the pro's play with it. then it might be fixed and safe?

Old 02-26-2016, 05:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Alex, there are two relays. One under the hood by the battery in the top fuse panel. There will be an illustration on the outside of the fuse panel cover.
The other is at the passenger end of the dash in the fuse panel. The position will be shown on the back side of the fuse panel cover.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
Alex, there are two relays. One under the hood by the battery in the top fuse panel. There will be an illustration on the outside of the fuse panel cover.
The other is at the passenger end of the dash in the fuse panel. The position will be shown on the back side of the fuse panel cover.
Sweet. So I should try and replace those 2 relays ? And go from there ?

Last edited by Alex S; 02-26-2016 at 06:03 PM.