Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Impossible Headlight Issue !! Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Alex S
So I've been at this issue for what seems like forever. Looking on different sites and trying things but nothing has worked. I had an account on here awhile ago but forgot the username and password. Anyways. I have a 2005 Monte carlo LS. Here's what im dealing with.

The problem: My auto-headlights only work during the daytime, only when im in drive. Shut off at night. They do not turn on if I pull the switch into either of the three settings. So I have been using my brights at night (with my headlight covers so they aren't blinding) well. Now my brights do not stay on even when clicked into the "on" position. So im stuck holding them on while i drive at night.

What I've tried: I first thought the sensor for day/night was bad. Replaced this twice. No fix. Then. Replaced the switch for the auto headlights/dome light. No fix. I then replaced my turn signal switch that triggers the brights. No fix. I have checked the grounds to the headlights. Thought they were a little gummed up. Clean it for good contact. Still. Nothing.

I don't know what to do anymore and I feel like I've run out of options. Please. If anybody has a solution. Share it with me. Or anything else I can try ! Thanks. Alex.
I re-read your post and noticed the part where you say you are "holding the lights on". Do you mean you are holding the multi-function switch lever?

Old 02-28-2016, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
I re-read your post and noticed the part where you say you are "holding the lights on". Do you mean you are holding the multi-function switch lever?
Yes. Driving at night. Since my brights won't stay on when activated. I have to hold the turn signal switch towards me. So it's semi safe to drive at night.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member

I'm still suspicious of a bad ground or wire. You might try to isolate the problem circuit by disconnecting components one at a time starting at an end point light a headlight. After disconnecting, try the headlights to see if the connected side works. If it does, the problem is within the disconnected circuit. Also try the same thing with the ambient light sensor. Could also be the DRL relay shown in the schematic "Headlamp Control Circuit".
These things are really hard to troubleshoot without a probe.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Thumbs up Thanks Bob for helping our new member & Not giving `up

Alex, check out the below, maybe they might help you ?

Part 1 -How to Test the Turn Signal Switch (Step by Step)

troubleshootmyvehicle.com › GM › 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L

Jan 7, 2012 - Page 1 of 5: How to Test the Turn Signal Switch. Symptoms of a BAD Turn Signal Switch. Turn Signal Circuit Descriptions. Checking Turn ...

Turn Signal Switch Replacement Service & Cost ...

www.yourmechanic.com › Auto Repair and Maintenance Services

This means that if the turn signal switch has gone bad, your brake lights may not ...What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Turn Signal ...

How to Tell When a Turn Signal Switch Is Bad | eHow

www.ehow.com › Cars

How to Tell When a Turn Signal Switch Is Bad. If your turn signal has stopped working, there are several possible reasons. You could have a bad bulb in the turn ...

car-repair/how-to-tell-if-you-have-a-faulty-turn-signal-relay

www.carsdirect.com › Car Repair › Car Lighting Repair

A turn signal relay is the electrical apparatus that governs your turn signal. ... On some vehicles, there are specific differences in symptoms for broken bulbs and ...

Is Your Turn Signal Relay Bad, & in Need of Replacing?

autorepair.about.com › ... › Repairs You Can Do and How-To Guides

The good news is that all of these symptoms point to two possible issues, a bad turn signal relay or a dead bulb. If the signal blinks really fast, you have a bulb ...

troubleshooting basic turn signal and flasher problems

www.procarcare.com/includes/content/.../ch14/14TSTurnSignals.html

Most problems in the turn signal or flasher systems can be reduced to defective ...Occasionally, problems in the turn signals are traced to the switch in the steering column, which ... Both turn signals on one side don't work Check for bad bulbs.

Would a bad turn signal switch effect the brake lights? | Yahoo ...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid...

Oct 16, 2009 - I have a 92 Buick regal (2 door)...I know the switch is bad and now my brake lights on one side wont work but they go on for the turn signal, just ...

Turn signal problems (not caused by bad flasher / hazard switch ...

www.saturnfans.com › ... › Models › Saturn Vue › Vue Tech

Jul 21, 2010 - 9 posts - ‎3 authors
I have already mentioned my turn signal woes in another thread, but wanted to start my own with additional information. Essentially, about 80% ...

Old 02-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Smile More for you

www.answers.com › ... › Categories › Cars & Vehicles › American Cars

If your turn signal lights come on but do not flash, then the flasher relay is defective. If they will not come on at all then the fuse may be blown.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 02-28-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:31 PM

I'm still suspicious of a bad ground or wire. You might try to isolate the problem circuit by disconnecting components one at a time starting at an end point light a headlight. After disconnecting, try the headlights to see if the connected side works. If it does, the problem is within the disconnected circuit. Also try the same thing with the ambient light sensor. Could also be the DRL relay shown in the schematic "Headlamp Control Circuit".
These things are really hard to troubleshoot without a probe.
Hmmm. How would I go about testing again ? Im sort of confused. What would I be disconnecting and plugging it in to to see if it works ? Im just lost I guess 😅

Old 02-28-2016, 06:36 PM

Hi Alex, From researching the web, I think or guess that you could have a bad turn signal switch What the above vid... and the links I posted... Since you have to hold it to drive Check it out...Good Luck

Old 02-28-2016, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
Hi Alex, From researching the web, I think or guess that you could have a bad turn signal switch What the above vid... and the links I posted... Since you have to hold it to drive Check it out...Good Luck

Mike, I thought the same, and mentioned that in one of my first posts in this thread, (multi-function switch) but Alex said he already replaced it. Could be a defective one I suppose.

Alex, as for disconnecting and testing...unplug the connector into one of the headlights. Try the headlights and see if the one connected headlight functions properly. If it does, the problem is in that circuit. If there is no change, plug it back in and do the same to the other side. If there's still no change, plug it back in and unplug the ambient light sensor....and so on.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
That's what I thought ! Haha. But I replaced it already and it still wouldn't engage the brights. It would click but when released the brights would turn off.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:02 PM

Mike, I thought the same, and mentioned that in one of my first posts in this thread, (multi-function switch) but Alex said he already replaced it. Could be a defective one I suppose.

Alex, as for disconnecting and testing...unplug the connector into one of the headlights. Try the headlights and see if the one connected headlight functions properly. If it does, the problem is in that circuit. If there is no change, plug it back in and do the same to the other side. If there's still no change, plug it back in and unplug the ambient light sensor....and so on.
Ahh. That is a good idea. I'll have to give that a shot tomorrow morning and see the results ! I'll keep you guys posted.