Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Im lost

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 PM

Alright, well i made it home, car didn't. Im gonna end up taking it to my college to work on it, i'm taking automotive classes.

It WILL start if i press the gas, but it will stall out no matter what i do within 10 seconds.

The exhaust smells VERY rich. All the fuses are ok, i can also hear the pump prime. and there is fuel at the fuel rail. I'll test the pressure as soon as i can. There are still no codes being tossed, everything in my last post is still true.

My next guesses are the fuel pump and coils, but why would it wait 45 minutes and 35 miles to act up?

Thank you guys for all of your help, i really appreciate it!!

Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 PM

How about the fuel pressure regulator?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 PM

Yeah, I have heard that the ground for the coilpack goes bad kind of randomly on these 3.8s sometimes.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by DerEin
Yeah, I have heard that the ground for the coilpack goes bad kind of randomly on these 3.8s sometimes.
How could i go about finding this out?

I have 3 coils from my 94 firebird, which are the exact same ones.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
First, I agree, if you're running it LOW all the time, perhaps a condensation issue.

If it acts this way on a FULL tank, the next items I am wondering about are coil packs and fuel pump. I had experience with a coil pack before randomly acting up (I found it ENTIRELY by accident, in my case, apply pressure to it a certain way caused the car to run like crap, change the pressure and it was fine. Next time I suspect a failed ignition coil, I will be re-reading this article:
View topic - Comprehensive guide for troubleshooting Ignition coils : PontiacBonnevilleClub.com
Wouldn't the PCM throw up a code if one of the coils is out? Not to mention if the engine is misfiring as a result? Also, you'd think the computer would throw a code for running rich..

Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 PM

Thats what i would be thinking, but when it is doing this, it probably doesnt even have enough time to recognize it.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:18 PM

That's true. In fact, I seem to remember from my auto class that the OBDII (1996-Present) setup has the computer run several passes (to make sure something is screwed up) before setting a code and turning on the "Check Engine" light. Whereas OBDI (1982-1996) (at least with GM anyway) a sensor or solenoid could go out and the light comes on right away. The fuel mixture control solenoid on my Olds 98's Computer controlled carb. was really bad at that, making the car run super rich..

Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by 05MonteLS
That's true. In fact, I seem to remember from my auto class that the OBDII (1996-Present) setup has the computer run several passes (to make sure something is screwed up) before setting a code and turning on the "Check Engine" light. Whereas OBDI (1982-1996) (at least with GM anyway) a sensor or solenoid could go out and the light comes on right away. The fuel mixture control solenoid on my Olds 98's Computer controlled carb. was really bad at that, making the car run super rich..
Alright, well we went out to get it today, 45 minutes away. It started, but was sluggish. I didnt drive it home, mother in law did. As she was driving it, going up hill is was blowing out black smoke. It ended up dying about 20 minutes away from home, completely flooded out.

In my gut, i really did feel like it was the MAF, so i decided to go ahead and buy a new one, went back out to the car and out it in, and by god it worked! Back to normal, spark plugs look fine, figured they would be fouled out.

Maybe it was just a coincidence that she ran out of gas and the sensor went bad... Still pisses me off that no codes were being thrown.