Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Im lost

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Default Im lost

Ok, well my fiances mom ran her 03 Monte Carlo out of gas. She had someone put 10 bucks worth of gas in it and it started.

For the longest time it would only start with the gas pressed down and that was it. Then all of the sudden it started, ran fine idled normal and everything.

I got it home, after it died once one the way home, and changed the plugs, wires and fuel filter. What a PITA. Started the car up, ran like a champ. Drove it to the gas station, put 10 more bucks in it and drove it about 20 miles, shutting it off every now and then. Ran perfect.

I was just gonna go take it back to her house, until i started it back up, and it started doing the same thing again. Then all of the sudden it ran fine, and idled fine. Turned it off, and it started doing the crappy idling and wouldn't hardly start.

What can this be?? No codes being thrown at all. I'm lost..

Please help me out

It's a 3.8L NA

Last edited by boyer61; 06-12-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just a guess, but I know around here $10 isn't going to put much gas in the tank. If the tank was run low on a regular basis (especially during the winter) there could be a fair amount of condensation (water) in the tank mixing with the gas and diluting it.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 AM

Thank you for the reply, she does run it very low, all the time.

I'm gonna put some additive in the tank to get rid of the water and i'll fill it up.

But it seems odd cause for the longest time i could drive it and it was acting perfectly..

Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

fuel pump possibly? since she runs it low all the time, it is probably sucking dirt in and just making things worse

Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This whole fuel system could be screwed up. You can try seafoam, but she may need a few new parts.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Any particular reason she runs low all the time? That's a terrible thing to do to your fuel pump and it's going to crack and need replacing a lot sooner. Also, check your MAF sensor...

Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Not to mention the fuel pump can burn up if the gas level gets too low.. The fuel lubricates and also cools the pump (if it is submerged). As a result, I've never felt comfortable letting my car get to the point where the "Low Fuel" message pops up. If you have an older car with a mechanical pump though, it's a bit different because the pump is attached to the engine and lubed by engine oil. I usually put gas in her when it usually gets right below the 1/4 mark.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

First, I agree, if you're running it LOW all the time, perhaps a condensation issue.

If it acts this way on a FULL tank, the next items I am wondering about are coil packs and fuel pump. I had experience with a coil pack before randomly acting up (I found it ENTIRELY by accident, in my case, apply pressure to it a certain way caused the car to run like crap, change the pressure and it was fine. Next time I suspect a failed ignition coil, I will be re-reading this article:
View topic - Comprehensive guide for troubleshooting Ignition coils : PontiacBonnevilleClub.com

Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM

check your iac, it may be faulty or crudded up, try cleaning the throddle body.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:15 PM

Well I just took it for a drive. Nice long 45 min drive. Ran perfectly. Then all of the sudden the track off light comes on and it says service traction system. And it dies. Still no codes. I poured some Herr on the tank before I left. Every now and then it'll start, idles normal the suddenly sputters and dies

Quick Reply: Im lost