5th Gen ('95-'99): Ignition Sometimes Won't Release Key - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 PM
1 Year Member

Default Ignition Sometimes Won't Release Key

I have a 1998 with an intermittent problem. About half of the time when I park the car and turn the engine off, the ignition key won't come out right away.

Sometimes all I have to do is wait a minute or so, and listen for a sort of "kachoong" sound coming from the floor shifter area, then at that point I know I can turn the cylinder all the way back and remove the key. Other times I just have to take my chances and leave the key in until the next time I drive.

Is something just slightly out of adjustment, perhaps? Like the transmission isn't fully engaging in Park somehow? Or is the problem more electrical in nature?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The Kachoong you describe sounds like the shifter isn't sitting in its detents correctly. Try popping off the bezel around the shifter and see if you can see what is going on in there.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member

i have this issue after my ignition cylinder had to be replaced... i have to push the shifter a bit more forward and the key will release...

let me know if this helps!