Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Ignition cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Ignition cylinder

Hey everyone, I am having problems with my ignition switch causing odd little issues such as the heat/air fan not coming on for a few minutes after starting, cruise control being lit up on the dash and my rear defrost not working, so I know I have issues with it lol. I am curious what part I need to replace is it the ignition lock cylinder (see link below)

More Information for ACDELCO D1493F

or the ignition case only (see link below)

More Information for DORMAN 924702

also, will I need to have a dealer hook up the tech 2 to my car to reprogram everything or will it just be a simple swap and go situation?

Thanks for any and all assistance

Old 10-30-2015, 06:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it is truly the ignition switch then both of those are the wrong part. The lock cylinder has you passlock chip. The lock cylinder with passlock chip sits in the ignition switch housing.
If my phone works the link below should be what you need (and it will use your existing lock cylinder and passlock chip):
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=525&jpid=0

Also, if you change the lock cylinder, you just need to follow the PCM relearn process (no tech2 needed).

Old 10-30-2015, 07:08 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks for link and info Jason, I've never had a car that has had an issue like this before so I was totally thrown for a loop when the problem first started, let alone the realization that this is what is causing the problems lol

Old 10-30-2015, 10:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You may want to rip your dash apart and make sure the cabling is firmly seated.

I had an experience with a '00 Grand Am (which uses the same ignition switch) that it would randomly stall/die and not restart. It was diagnosed to the ignition switch. Ripped into it and found the aftermarket remote start was installed with a T-harness that avoided some wire splicing. The T-harness connectors were not "clicking" into the ignition switch like they were supposed to. The solution was a large zip tie lol.

Bottom line, make sure it's not goofy wiring (as I have yet to experience one of these ignition switches to fail and I've touched a lot of cars with them.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:15 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

well my car does have a remote start, so that could also be a logical problem situation. I will borrow my buddies garage and rip it apart, but I am still going to have the part on hand prior to doing it just in case lol.

Again thanks for your help, it is appreciated

Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had the same issue on my 03 SS. The blower would randomly not blow, cruise lit up on dash cluster, also the overhead info center would be blank. It would just do this randomly.
Replace the ignition switch and never had the issue again. Not the actual cylinder but the electrical part. Not a hard fix and didn't take long, maybe 30 minutes at most.
Can't remember part number but I used ac delco.
Must be a ground runs through it that controls those functions that works loose or something.