Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): I have to push the fan dial to get the fan to come on in setting 4 and 5, Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default I have to push the fan dial to get the fan to come on in setting 4 and 5, Why?

This weekend I replaced the blower motor resistor. Previously the fan would only come on in the 2 and 3 positions. With the new resistor in the fan will come on in all five positions. However it will cut out on settings four and five occasionally but come back on when I touch the dial. Any idea why? Do these switches fail?

It took four hours to replace the blower resistor. Three and a half were getting the screw behind the resistor in and out. What a disastor that design is.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a bad contact in the switch or wire connection to it.

Yes, they do go bad, same as any other switch, or electrical part for that matter.

Not sure if it has to do with your problem, but I just commented on a thread by another member. The A/C fan relay redirects power allowing it to pull from the battery on the high setting. See the attachments in the below thread. Especially the only referencing HVAC blower control circuit description.

Thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...r-relay-56788/

Last edited by plumbob; 08-01-2016 at 08:37 PM.