Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

HUGE ISSUE, Passenger Side Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default HUGE ISSUE, Passenger Side Water Leak

Passenger leak in '00 Monte Carlo, even after GM Cowl fix!
I have a huge issue guys, it leaks on my passenger side after big storms like this and I already installed that plastic piece GM made to drain the water but water still seeps in! What's the issue?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx

Old 07-06-2019, 03:54 PM

I would check a couple of things. Make sure that the drain in the cowl is not clogged up with dirt/leaves. Have you heard sloshing after a heavy rain from the door - the drain holes will clog up with dirt/etc. I stick a toothpick in and the door will drain for 5 minutes sometimes.Make sure your door seal is clean and not damaged. As high as the water is, I would suspect the cowl drain, I believe it comes out just below the lower hinge. Also, check your headliner, if it is damp you could have a leak at the top of the windshield (actually been there, done that). Best thing to do is get in the car and have someone spray water at selected areas, or go through a car wash and watch for a trickle. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member

Already went through a car wash, trickled down in the same spot a bit, no water in the door when I shook it..idk what it could be. But, some of the panel clips on my passenger door is broken off so the door is loose..could it he seeping through there pass the water seal inside the door?

Last edited by FatalcMCSS; 07-06-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the car is equipped with a sun roof, also make sure the sun roof drains are not clogged. I have yet to have that issue with my Monte, but I did have almost the same looking leak in my Grand Am and that is what caused it.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
If the car is equipped with a sun roof, also make sure the sun roof drains are not clogged. I have yet to have that issue with my Monte, but I did have almost the same looking leak in my Grand Am and that is what caused it.
It does have a sunroof but it hasn't worked for years now, but I checked where the A pillars run down by the door, and I saw no drain tubes, some Monte Carlos have the tubes that run from the sunroof, mines don't for whatever reason, so idk how to check that..

Old 07-08-2019, 10:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If I recall, there are 4 total sunroof drains. The two in the front I believe run down the a-pillar, and I believe they exit around the conduit for the door wiring in the door jam. You could run some water over the sun roof (just a cup, something small) and have someone spot if it exits a drain.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
If I recall, there are 4 total sunroof drains. The two in the front I believe run down the a-pillar, and I believe they exit around the conduit for the door wiring in the door jam. You could run some water over the sun roof (just a cup, something small) and have someone spot if it exits a drain.
Could you snap a pic of them on your MC so I can be completely sure of their locations?

Old 07-21-2019, 06:29 PM

driver side

pass side

motor & wiring

Old 07-21-2019, 06:33 PM

These are from a 2000 I saw in the wrecking yard yesterday. (not sure why this didn't post with the photos.)

Old 07-22-2019, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Glen01SS

driver side

pass side

motor & wiring
Is this the sunroof with the interior ripped off of it? I'm trying to make out the spots

Quick Reply: HUGE ISSUE, Passenger Side Water Leak