Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

How to remove PAINT from AL rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Default How to remove PAINT from AL rims

One of the reasons I got a decent deal on my used MC was because the prior owner BRUSH painted the rims white to match the car. (Why not just by a Grand Am, right??)

Anyhow, I found some chemical paint stripper at Advance Auto Parts (I'll get the name of it to post later, if I forget email me,) that worked pretty good. The only grey area is whether or not the paint's base was clear- if not I've successfully removed OEM varnish/clear coat from the rims. Hmm.

The procedure is easy- brush a LOAD of the goopy stuff on, let it sit like you would any stripper, and scrub it off. I found a high pressure washer worked great, except that the paint ended up all over the driveway, and you have to be careful to give the rims a LIGHT (low pressure) rinse to remove the stripper first. If not, you'll find little burning spots on your skin where it flew back and stuck to you!

It did not affect the red bowtie on the center cap, or the tires, and came in a gallon container which was more than enough.

If anyone wants more info let me know via PM or email.

I'll post a pic of the kid sweating it out while I watched with a beer in my hand!