Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

How to remove tint paint off tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Default How to remove tint paint off tail lights?

First off, I'm new to the site. So hi to everyone. Second, I've had my monte carlo for about a year now. I've haven't had problems with the cops about my tints on the windows or tail lights. But some cop had it for me last night and gave me 4 tickets, 1 for each window (1 drivers side, 1 passenger side, and 1 back window) and 1 for my tinted tail lights. I bought the car the way it was and I didn't know the percent on the window tints and the previous owner had tinted the tail lights pretty dark. So today I found out how to remove the window tints, but I can't get a good method on how to remove the paint from the tail lights. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance guys. Oh and if someone could tell me how to take the wire clip from the wires that connect from the car to the tail lights, I would appreciate that too. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:31 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wire clip should just be a pull up and release. What I say to get rid of the tint, is sand the tails with mabye 320 grit till its all off. Then work your way to 2000 in small increments. Then just hit it with some clear paint, or plastic polish they sell for headlights.

The cop must have been a complete nut, I dont think I could take 4 tickets without blowing up. One for each window isnt even right....

Old 07-27-2010, 07:48 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I thought FL was the most easy state when it came to window tint - go figure. Cop probably had a bad day and took it out on you which totally sucks. That happened to my fiances friend a couple of weeks ago. He was driving his classic car and had 1972 plates on it (it is a 72 Nova). In IL, as long as you have the registered plates in the car somewhere, you can run any plates - it's totally legal. But he got ticketed and got very bad attitude from this cop - he got her badge number and reported her.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 PM

I've been reading about the whole sanding thing, but I want to leave that for last resort. I wanted to see if anyone had any idea about what king of paint remover or if acetone might work for this?

And yea the cop was really pissed of at me cuz where I first saw him was at a park down at coconut grove. I was fishing there and it was like 10 p.m. and he kicked us out. I told him that I've been fishing there til like 2 a.m. for the past month and no ones messed with me. But he kept on saying we where trespassing and that the parked closed at sunset (even tho where I was they had lights that where on and the gates where open). So then me and my friends moved over to the next park to see if we could fish and everything was open, so we went in and started fishing. When we're leaving he pulls up next to us with the lights on and starts giving us attitude and gives me tickets for the tints and writes all our names down.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Originally Posted by Blk Monte
I've been reading about the whole sanding thing, but I want to leave that for last resort. I wanted to see if anyone had any idea about what king of paint remover or if acetone might work for this?

And yea the cop was really pissed of at me cuz where I first saw him was at a park down at coconut grove. I was fishing there and it was like 10 p.m. and he kicked us out. I told him that I've been fishing there til like 2 a.m. for the past month and no ones messed with me. But he kept on saying we where trespassing and that the parked closed at sunset (even tho where I was they had lights that where on and the gates where open). So then me and my friends moved over to the next park to see if we could fish and everything was open, so we went in and started fishing. When we're leaving he pulls up next to us with the lights on and starts giving us attitude and gives me tickets for the tints and writes all our names down.
Wow what a jerk. And there are way worse things than fishing that people could be been doing. You know, like commiting an actual crime or something. Pretty lame on his part...

Old 07-27-2010, 01:32 PM

I believe deadsnake on here was selling his taillights for $55 shipping included. It was in the for sale section, maybe go that route...

Old 07-27-2010, 02:16 PM

If i ever get busted im gonna get a pair of new tails and to 2 cotes insted of 3

Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

you rubbing alcohol, it may take a while but it will work or use paint remover, youll have to work it but it will be worth saving the money for new tails.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Orrrrr, just trade with someone on here that wants to do tinted ones on their Monte???

Old 07-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

or buy carbon fiber leds like everyone else??? lol

Quick Reply: How to remove tint paint off tail lights?