Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

how to fix a No Start with these DTC's set

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Default how to fix a No Start with these DTC's set

ok first the DIC will show Reduced Power and a check engine light along with cranking and not starting the codes will have all sum or a variation of these give or take a few

PO102 Mass Air Circuit low
P1516 Electronic Throttle Mod VS TP Performance
P1682 Ignition Switch Fault
P1526 Minimum Throttle Position Not Learned

First check to make sure you have the Correct group size battery for LS LT LTZ its group size 34 with 700CCA stick with OE usually cant go wrong there, my car had a new battery, the previous owner installed, which was too small it was a 400CCA which will work for a little while then this situation will occur. If your battery is right skip the next paragraph if not or you want to test it read on.

ok after checking the battery with a battery tester like a shop would use i.e. a VAT 45 puts a calculated load on the batter and a capacitance tester electronically tests the amperage the battery can hold, I believe.

if your battery is fine check your under hood fuse box for the PWR/TRN relay test it with a good DMM or replace with known good parts to test. I used a fan relay it was the exact same numbers and all my car started so I bought a new relay.a day later it fried the relay due to too small a battery and not enough amperage.

Now if your battery was the wrong group number and CCA you'll want to check the throttle body also, the TAC and TPS sensor 1 & 2 can get damaged from not using the correct battery as was my situation I replaced the throttle body assembly a Relay twice and a Battery my car runs fine I bought all OEM parts except the relay I bought a BWD relay at Kragen/O'rielly if you want OE parts without dealer pricing look up places that supply dealers or try http://www.gmpartsdirect.com they sell OE parts cheap

a short lesson in Electricity Voltage/Current is what carries your work horse also known as Amperage to its intended destination to do work, like actuating a throttle blade if there isn't enough Amperage to do the work the component will pull more Current until it has enough to get the job done, well all the extra current with the lack of Amperage causes Voltage spikes which just leaves voltage in the component building up and heating up the component until it has a satisfied amount of amperage to do the intended task.