Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Hood Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Use Hood Pins

Originally Posted by Austinho_4
Alright guys, I figured out what the problem is. So the cable that is connected to my good release and the lever to pop it open under the hood is overstretched. Meaning that the hood release doesn't pull the cable far enough to open the lever to pop open my hood. I have to buy a new cable through a dealership to get it replaced. In the mean time what I can do to open my good is disconnect the cable from the good release and use a pair of pliers to pull the cable far enough to open my hood. If you have the same problem do this, but be sure to pull the release all the way and then pull the cable with the pliers.

If you replace the cable make sure you keep it lubed, but you might also try hood pins. I adds to the style of the car and you don't have to worry about the cable any longer and I think they still make them Lockable as well. Just an Idea.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 PM

What are hood pins? That might be something that I'm interested in.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Aww no show with a chop saw opening your Monte's hood? Cool you got her open. Thanks for the tip on how to get the hood opened with a bad cable.

Here are hood pins installed on my Monte.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
If you replace the cable make sure you keep it lubed, but you might also try hood pins. I adds to the style of the car and you don't have to worry about the cable any longer and I think they still make them Lockable as well. Just an Idea.
Go to Google search and put in Hood pins and then after it shows up, click on (Images) and you will be able to see all the applications. hit the one you like and then you click visit page, and in some cases will take you to the source for purchase.
Nascar cars use hood pin a lot of Drag race cars also and in a nut shell is a Steel rod that is threaded on one end drill a hole usually in the front frame, then drill the hole in the hood and put all the trim for the holes and your set to go. These came standard on the 1970 -72 Chevelles and many Mustangs. Hope that helps I just check to see if the images showed up and they did. they have many options, clean looks too. The hole in the hood should be larger than the dia. of the pin. Body shops can do this easy or it's a DIY thing, after the pin is installed the tip can be marked with chalk to find the location on the under side of the Hood. Drill a smaller pilot hole first, then you can continue upsizing the bit or use a metal hole bit. Take your time don't want to burn the area from a Hot bit.
Hope that helps if you decide to do that. PS they do make lockable ones to protect your engine compartment's accessories.