Go Back  Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums > General Forums > Monte Carlo Repair Help
Reload this Page >

6th Gen ('00-'05): Hole in exhaust pipe; strong gas odour but no visible leak

Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Hole in exhaust pipe; strong gas odour but no visible leak

Old 08-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Default Hole in exhaust pipe; strong gas odour but no visible leak

Is it due to the exhaust leak that the smell of gas is so strong?
as theres no visible sign of gas leak and not using/losing gas bssed on fuel consumptiin.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A hole in the exhaust wouldn't smell like raw gas unless something was seriously wrong with the engine (stuck open injector, totally dead cylinder, etc).

It doesn't have to be physically leaking gas to smell gas fumes, I'd check the filler neck to make sure there are no holes / damage there, then I'd check the evap lines - maybe it's popped off or split? I'd think either of the latter two would at least throw a code though.
​​​​​​

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.