Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help wanted

Old 04-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Default Help wanted

I have a problem with my 85 monte ss. When I slow the car down , to say go around a corner the car seems to hesitate to pick back up. Even if i gun it. Is this a transmission, engine or vaccum line problem any hints are appreciated

Old 04-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Help wanted

this sounds like the tranny to me what do you think tvw or fireman or chevyjj?

Old 04-11-2005, 04:26 PM

Sounds like a fuel related problem. Fuel pickup in the sender may be the problem. If fuel sloshes to one side of the tank, the sender is losing the fuel momentarily. What do you think T

Old 04-11-2005, 04:45 PM

what are some suggetstions to check for this problem. Would it hurt to change the fuel filter and pump. Its been about 3 years since the filter was changed.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:02 PM

Well thats an inexpensive start. Fuel filters as a rule need to be changed every 15,000 to 30,000 miles. This may not be your problem. In fact, it probably isn't. If the filter was clogged, you would not be getting fuel at all. Or very little. Not just during turning. TVW may have more insight on this.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:07 PM

As far as the fuel pump goes, mechanical pumps rarely cause problems. It would be in the fuel sender in the tank. The sender or pickup in the tank has a level sensor or in this case the float which determines fuel level in the tank. If something has broken or come loose or is hanging on in the tank, this could be your problem. You say it only cuts back during a turn and no other time. Does it seem hard to start?

Old 04-11-2005, 05:13 PM

I think you guy's are on the right track.

How many miles do you have on it? If you have not done a tune up on her in a while I would start there. Wires/Plugs/PVC/Filters.

At idle in drive, what RMP range are you running? Do you get a fluctuating RMP at idle?

If the carb has not been overhauled I would "Get R Done" as well. You may have a sticky float.

Would it hurt to change the fuel filter and pump.
Filter...Yes. I agree with FD.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 PM

no not really. I dont know if this makes sense but my dad has a 1986 mcss and driving his seems a lot smoother. I mean the gas pedal doesnt seem as stiff/heavy. Yes it only does this when turning. I have noticed it hesitating when you go to take off more recently. It is a summer only car that I got as gift from my dad 7 years ago it really hasnt been driven that much.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM

I mean the gas pedal doesnt seem as stiff/heavy.
My money is on a carb rebuild. You more than likely have a ton of carbon buildup.

TVW

Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM

it has about 94000 on it. Carb was rebuilt in 2000 and plugs, wires, dist. changed in 2003. Cant remember exactly what rpm it idols at. I havnt drivin it since last June. But this problem has been ongoing for a few years now. NOTE: I have only put about 3000 miles on the car since 2002.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help wanted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.