Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help! No headlights!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Help! No headlights!

Hi,

I am pretty new here, having just gotten a 2005 Monte LT 2 months ago. (Love it BTW)....except for the 2 issues I have with it.

The first is:
The other night, I parked it and armed the alarm (factory). Usually, the headlights stay on for 60 seconds (set that way). That night, they didnt. I didnt think anything of it, but when I got in it several hrs later, the regular headlights did not come on. If I pulled the turnsignal switch in, it did not click but the high beams came on. They would not stay on (unless the switch was held). Any ideas?

Second issue:
Now, when I start my car and go to put it into drive (with brake held), the solenoid doesnt release the safety switch. I have to stick a screwdriver in there to pop it down to get it to go into reverse, drive, etc. Is it the solenoid? If I put power to it, I read 12.9volts off the green wire. When I step on the brake, it goes to Zero. (I may have that backwards, I checked it days ago). It seems like the brake switch is working but the solenoid is not. Anyone know where I could get that part and what the part number is?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Pete

PS- Update....
This morning when I left for work, I noticed my regular (low beams) were on. When I pulled the switch out to see if they would stay on, they shifted to the parking lights and fog lamps.

Anyone ever seen this before? Also, I noticed most people with similar problems change the switch...is this the actual pull out one on the dash, or the high/low turnsignal switch on the steering column?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:56 PM

if it was durring the day, your low beams dont get used. your hogh beams are on as DRL's and if you pull the turnsignal switch in they will get brighter as normal high beams would but wont stay.
or was this durring night time