Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help! New member no start problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Default Help! New member no start problem!

Ok guys, I've looked the net and asked every mechanical mind I know with no luck. I have an 06 Monte Carlo 3.5L automatic transmission. After the car sat for about 3 days I went to start it and nothing. No click of the starter no fuel pump hum, nothing. All the other electronics work fine and the battery tests fine. I checked fuses and they are fine, then I bridged the starter over and got it to crank (using a jumper wire) with the key on it just cranks. I'm assuming it isn't getting any fuel because of the no start after bridging the starter over. The dash shows no security indicators everything is just the same as it has ever been. This is the first time it has ever gave any kind of problem like this and I'm at a loss. The car was used when we got it, so like any used car I only got one key (my luck) so testing it with another key is out. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the security system but would like to try everything I can before having it hauled to the dealership. Any input would be great!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello Zap, and Welcome to MCF!
It does sound like a Pass-Lock issue time me. But the fact that you have no Security Indication is kind of disconcerting. When you put the key in the on Position does the battery indicator light up?
I would get a partner and try spraying a quick burst of starter fluid into the TB while jumping the starter. If it kicks over and then stalls, then you are not getting fuel. That combined with the starter not cranking points toward a security lock out. I would say try doing a security relearn even though the security light is not on.
Jason, (The_Maniac) just found that a bad ignition switch and lock cylinder that can cause a security lock out. I don't remember the details but if you ask him. I'm sure he willing to pass on the info.
Good lucky and Safe Driving!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:58 AM

Hi 'Zap, Sorry to read about your prob & I hope more member's post their opinions/solutions on what maybe causing your problems.

Check out a prior Thread on the MCF
Click Below Link > Good Luck
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...-issues-22461/

Old 12-31-2013, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the quick response! I got the car over to my father in laws body shop and he had it going in no time. From my best guess the first time I tried to start it the battery must have been weak, we have had some really cold nights her and by the time I got home from work to check the voltage of the battery it had already come back up to 12v after activating the security system. Anyways he hooked a scan tool to it and in 5 min it was running like there was never anything wrong with it. He said there were some codes in it and after clearing them it took right off. I may be completely wrong on this but its all I can think of. Thanks again for the speedy response!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Clearing the codes will reset the PCM to default parameters (so the vehicle will run normal for a bit), but if the problem(s) that triggered the code(s) were not addressed your problem(s) will return.