Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help with Door Weather Stripping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Default @2xmonte

Where did you get the rivets to attach the weatherstrip back on?

Old 06-21-2015, 03:54 PM

I just did my passenger door, took me two hours, not bad at all to do actually. Just take your time, 1/8th inch rivets will do the trick, GM ones are 3/4 inch long, but broke one trying to get it in the one hole, GM ones were too big, so drilled out the holes a bit more. Getting another rivet, there are actually NINE rivets each side, FYI, doing drivers side next weekend. I bought mine from GM, but was about $212.00 total. Door panel comes off very easy, need a #27 torx bit for the two screws in the armrest, other two are phillips, then the mirror nuts were 10mm, three of those, like was mentioed, slip a thin scraper with a rag on it in beetween the metal and door panel up forward, near the speaker area, pry gently, it will pop loose, then one up above that one. Work your way around under and around to the back of the door carefully pulling out, then lift up and out when unfastened.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:17 PM

If you find these parts,what would you need to remove the items. My girls molding has been cracking & cracked since she was 3 years old. I've only in the last 3 years had to use electrical tape to hold the molding together to keep the d/s rear floor from turning into Lake Chevrolet.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:03 PM

Belly,
Check out this thread on the same topic. Looks like 9 rivets that are not that easy to get to... 96z34man says that 3M rubber adhesive is a good fix if replacing the whole thing is too much work/expensive.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:58 PM

Great info. This thread is old but useful for me to fix the door seal on my 2004.
Originally Posted by 2xMonte
I just replaced my drivers door. There are six rivots. and a screw. Run the window all the way down then pull the felt window seal off the top of the window frame. This will expose 5 of the six rivots. Next the door panel will have to come off also. Remove the arm rest should be 3 or 4 screws. Once they are removed there are clips holding the window switches in place. work them loose carefully. The power door lock switch can be removed by disconnecting the electrical connector. A tool which I forgot the name will wedge in between the door panel and the door frame. You will have to feel your way around the door prying carefully each holder out of the door frame. I cannot stress do not force anything. These panels are plastic and the door panel is a type of corrugated paper. Once the door panel is off the side view mirror has to be removed to expose the sixth rivot. There are 2 bolts and a electrical connector. the rivot heads have to be drilled until you cal knock the rivot into the door frame. They will eventually fall to the bottom of the door.
It is a very labor intensive job. Do not attempt if you do not have all the tools.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:52 PM

Where can you find these moldings and weather strippings?

Old 09-18-2020, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Kestner
Where can you find these moldings and weather strippings?
I got a new one on ebay just look up the part #s listed above. That was a few years ago not sure if the part #s are still available or discontinued. Only other option would be to find a good used one at the junkyard.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:24 PM

I went to lowes and bought something like garage door weather stripping. It was long and had like a 30 or 45 deg angle down the center. I cut it with scissors on bottom, rtvd it against the other seal, then once rtv set up razor blade on top even with old seal. Made angle more aggressive, material more rigid, seals real tight. Mine peeled off flush about halfway back to door. Doesnt look best, but functional. Shes past being showroom condition anyway. Can only tell up close.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by gtr25
I went to lowes and bought something like garage door weather stripping. It was long and had like a 30 or 45 deg angle down the center. I cut it with scissors on bottom, rtvd it against the other seal, then once rtv set up razor blade on top even with old seal. Made angle more aggressive, material more rigid, seals real tight. Mine peeled off flush about halfway back to door. Doesnt look best, but functional. Shes past being showroom condition anyway. Can only tell up close.
I used Goretex 1" gasket material that we use on our boiler manway covers! My passenger door doesn't close flush at the top (I think due to an accident), and it took me a while to figure out why the floor in back was getting soaked. So this was a good quick fix for those of us that have neither time, tools, or talent. And yeah, when you open the door, you will see a big white blob on the top corner, lol. But no more Lake Chevrolet now, except inside the doors.