Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Help! Bell housing bolts...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Default Help! Bell housing bolts...

First off, this has been a GREAT resource for Monte info, thank you. I've searched for help with my problem, but haven't found anything. SO, as I sit inside soaking up the A/C & cussing,... I ask you. How the heck do you get "THE" bell housing bolt out? ( some of you may understand what Im asking ) - I'm swapping the engine on my 04 SC SS, i have everything done for it to come out, but am having trouble even FINDING the bolt closest to the firewall. I understand that i need lots of extensions, and need to get at it from the passenger side, but having a real time trying to get ON that little guy. Any words of wisdom here? Thanks in advance for any help with this bolt! The doner engine & I are waiting patiently.
20140614_210120%202_zpstrmgkfxw.jpg

Last edited by OFourSS; 09-01-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is very difficult and that bolt is well known in the w-body/3800 world as the "bitch bolt" as you clearly know why. It is almost a 2 person job, one looking from the top and guiding the other on where to position the ratchet/ extensions/ socket. Also try using a stiff swivel right off the socket as it's hard to go straight on it. If you lay under the car you can reach up and feel around with the very tip of your finger to help guide you as well.

Once you get it out most leave it out and never reinstall it and never have issues doing so ( I always fought to get it back in only because of the big power I am making)

Take your time as it's very aggravating but eventually you will find the sweet spot and get it. Just to warn you, it's even harder putting it back in!